Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Try to follow along JJs.

SL commented that he liked the swing. I responding asking him what he thought of the lack of extension. The notion being that there is a flaw, and asking him to share his expertise on it. SL went silent. Stever chimed in, commented that he likes to see extension and gave some photos displaying his image of extension. He then fielded the question of lack of extension and suggested it was that your daughter was either weak or simply had a bad habit. I suggested it wasn't due to her being weak.

Simple message board discussions. No reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Ok FFS
Lack of extension.

One she hit the ball a tad out in front to far. Some times that leads to lack of extension.
A better hip drive on the front end would have fixed the arms out in front to far, causing this.
She pulled the knob to far, causing arm folding, verses extension

But like I said. She has a nice swing A little better sequence and its there. Be a pleasure to work with this girl

Straightleg

Last edited:

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
LOL, I had the script for this thread written in advance. Note to self for next time: remember to use more colorful language and add a "Wizard of Oz man-behind the curtain" and "Mother, may I" references.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
You crack me up. I really think you might actually believe that you are helping people. Your agenda is one pronged, you hope to convince people of your superior knowledge of swinging a bat, that is all you try to do. Your tone NEVER comes across as genuinely interested in helping anyone. You may not know this, but it is true.

I have told you several times that I think you have nothing to share of value, But you insist on chiming in about my kids anyway. I have tried to be civil, I even throw you a pity thanks once in a while when you are being slightly less annoying than usual, but you always wind up being a putz. so this is how it ends up. If you don't like it then don't chime in on my kids. And if you do then make it constructive. Two pages of you asking questions you already have an answer for is just your normal condescendingn BS.

Well said...You nailed his personality.

SL

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Try to follow along JJs.

SL commented that he liked the swing. I responding asking him what he thought of the lack of extension. The notion being that there is a flaw, and asking him to share his expertise on it. SL went silent. Stever chimed in, commented that he likes to see extension and gave some photos displaying his image of extension. He then fielded the question of lack of extension and suggested it was that your daughter was either weak or simply had a bad habit. I suggested it wasn't due to her being weak.

Simple message board discussions. No reason to get your panties in a bunch.

Ok FFS
Lack of extension.

One she hit the ball a tad out in front to far. Some times that leads to lack of extension.
A better hip drive on the front end would have fixed the arms out in front to far, causing this.
She pulled the knob to far, causing arm folding, verses extension

But like I said. She has a nice swing A little better sequence and its there. Be a pleasure to work with this girl

Straightleg

I see, in your view she hit the ball too far out front ... and that caused her to not extend.

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal
Just to follow up with my earlier response .....

If you “turn the barrel” around your rear forearm all the way to contact, then you can end up with something like this here.

2d77kvk.gif

It’s not something anyone should get bent out of shape over. People hear of a concept that is new to them, they play with it, miss some important nuances, take it too far, receive feedback that they have taken the concept too far, and then recover from the overshoot. They are better for having gone through the process. It isn’t the first time this has happened with this particular concept.

29crxg9.gif

One of the reasons I speak of the “Around” and “Along” is to help with this particular issue.

I find it pretty interesting - amusing actually - that the two girls in this post, who are doing things so "wrong" are both playing at the highest level, in one of the most competitive softball regions in the country, and are having success. This clip of Maddie (the bottom one) was from a drill with a specific intent, which you never understood.

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Her "Along" could be greatly improved ..... and doing so would result in greater efficiency of energy transfer to the barrel.

What she is demonstrating is the taking of the concept of "turning the barrel" too far into the swing.

As Howe and others have commented, the concept can be taken too far .... and that is the case here.

Can I assume the long held top hand dorsiflexion and bicep/forearm angle are what you are finding objectionable? Torso relationship notwithstanding, do you think that there is a pitch location where these checkpoints might be beneficial into contact?

Trout_side_noext.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Her "Along" could be greatly improved ..... and doing so would result in greater efficiency of energy transfer to the barrel.

What she is demonstrating is the taking of the concept of "turning the barrel" too far into the swing.

As Howe and others have commented, the concept can be taken too far .... and that is the case here.

Can I assume the long held top hand dorsiflexion and bicep/forearm angle are what you are finding objectionable? Torso relationship notwithstanding, do you think that there is a pitch location where these checkpoints might be beneficial into contact?

Trout_side_noext.gif

If I had the time I could put up clips of Cabrera getting extended on inside pitches.

[edited to add]
p.s.
Do you consider this tee swing to be an approximation of an 'inside pitch'? I don't.

2d77kvk.gif

Last edited:

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I had the same thought when I saw it Eric. Swing flaws and all, the kids are alright. I know FFS did not mean to imply that they weren't but it is funny grouping to illustrate swing flaws. It just shows how microscopic we all get, myself included, when we look at swings.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp