Feedback on the JJ DDs

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Ok FFS
Lack of extension.

One she hit the ball a tad out in front to far. Some times that leads to lack of extension.
A better hip drive on the front end would have fixed the arms out in front to far, causing this.
She pulled the knob to far, causing arm folding, verses extension

But like I said. She has a nice swing A little better sequence and its there. Be a pleasure to work with this girl

Straightleg

This part will make your arms fold

SL

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
JJ, I'll jump to the chase here since I'm not going to be around much today. Take these suggestions and do your best to have your daughter match what the best in the game do. However, let be clear here. Not many people using the Hanson Principle believe that the best hitters today in the game of softball match what the best in MLB do. It isn't a bad goal to have and to strive for but measure your dd's journey/journies in success that she/they has/have at the plate. If your/membership here dd's can understand that even with success comes more work then you have it made. In the video I showed you of BB, she was just learning to stride. She was a no strider there. She was always open to working on something else and never thought that she had arrived and so didn't want to improve. Pick your battles in little areas. Improving one thing at a time is a lot better than trying to improve 4 things at once. JMHO!

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Maddie's swing has improved from the day you made this demo. The demo is a good example of overdoing turning the barrel.

Hmmm...The drill was an exaggeration to help her feel something she was having trouble feeling....After doing that drill, her swing has improved...Yep. I agree with you!

However, this segment (cut from a longer sequence) is not a good example of the action that was being instructed to my DD at the time, as was discussed in the original thread.

On a side note - I got to see JJ's DD swing a bat in person today. Nice swing! She's definitely in the right track (IMO).

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Maddie's swing has improved from the day you made this demo. The demo is a good example of overdoing turning the barrel.

Hmmm...The drill was an exaggeration to help her feel something she was having trouble feeling....After doing that drill, her swing has improved...Yep. I agree with you!

However, this segment (cut from a longer sequence) is not a good example of the action that was being instructed to my DD at the time, as was discussed in the original thread.

On a side note - I got to see JJ's DD swing a bat in person today. Nice swing! She's definitely in the right track (IMO).

EricF, from memory the accompanying swings displayed an out front push.

What were you attempting to over exaggerate? What was the feel you were after?

coachbob

Banned
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
If I had the time I could put up clips of Cabrera getting extended on inside pitches.

"..Do you think there is a pitch location where......?"

[edited to add]
p.s.
Do you consider this tee swing to be an approximation of an 'inside pitch'? I don't.

2d77kvk.gif

A quick re-read of my post will answer that P.S. I gather by your question that you agree one might hold off release longer on an Inside pitch. I was just trying to better understand the Howe release theory, and how it would help this girl. I was focused more upstream in my analysis, but always consider your posts as worthy of consideration.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
A quick re-read of my post will answer that P.S. I gather by your question that you agree one might hold off release longer on an Inside pitch. I was just trying to better understand the Howe release theory, and how it would help this girl. I was focused more upstream in my analysis, but always consider your posts as worthy of consideration.

IMO the "Around" / "Short-To" also serves the purpose of getting to a position for the "Along" / "Long-Through".

May 24, 2013
So Cal
EricF, from memory the accompanying swings displayed an out front push.

What were you attempting to over exaggerate? What was the feel you were after?

The video was discussed at length in another thread, plus you and I had an extended PM conversation about it. I explained my intent with the drill at the time, which you never agreed with. I'm not re-hashing it all again in this thread.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The video was discussed at length in another thread, plus you and I had an extended PM conversation about it. I explained my intent with the drill at the time, which you never agreed with. I'm not re-hashing it all again in this thread.

Allow me to jog your memory.

Last August you sent me video of yourself doing this. You were working on "barrel turn". To pretend otherwise would be dishonest. In your demonstrations there was no "Along", just "Around". Worse, what should have been the "Around" was mostly you rotating your upper body. What should have been the "Along" was an "Around" action with a significant transmission loss of energy. You were physically restricting extension while you essentially rotated the barrel around your rear forearm into what should have been the "Along".

Your demonstration was helpful to me. It showed me just how lost an intelligent individual could become regarding what some considered to be a relatively simple concept. Don't read this as being your fault ... but more the fault of the information not being complete enough such that an incorrect approach could be avoided. It is because of such demonstrations that I coined the usage of "Around/Along" ... to help people such as yourself, and others that may have been equally confused, learn to better realize proper energy flow in the swing.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Allow me to jog your memory.

Last August you sent me video of yourself doing this. You were working on "barrel turn". To pretend otherwise would be dishonest. In your demonstrations there was no "Along", just "Around". Worse, what should have been the "Around" was mostly you rotating your upper body. What should have been the "Along" was an "Around" action with a significant transmission loss of energy. You were physically restricting extension while you essentially rotated the barrel around your rear forearm into what should have been the "Along".

Your demonstration was helpful to me. It showed me just how lost an intelligent individual could become regarding what some considered to be a relatively simple concept. Don't read this as being your fault ... but more the fault of the information not being complete enough such that an incorrect approach could be avoided. It is because of such demonstrations that I coined the usage of "Around/Along" ... to help people such as yourself, and others that may have been equally confused, learn to better realize proper energy flow in the swing.

This definitely wins the 2015 Cliff Clavin award.....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd