Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 4, 2015
Losing one's job is different than losing one's "freedom". The economic impact needs to be weighed against the health impact but it must be done from a non-emotional, information-based point of view. The field experts (economists,doctors and scientists) give the relevant field information, the politicians take that information and make a decision based upon it. That is what intelligent leaders do. They are able to synthesize a large amount of information and make decisions based upon that information, taking their own best interests out of the equation. To do that you have to listen and be willing/able to learn. Those decisions are inevitably hard and everybody will not be happy. If a politician lays out how he/she made their decision based upon the information given to them, while I might not agree, I can at least respect that they did their due diligence.

I totally agree with most of the above statement, but no-one on either side of the argument in government is making their decisions without emotion and they don't completely trust the numbers they are working with. (whether they think the numbers or too high or too low). I have very little faith in anyone in office right now. More decisions are being made to make sure they cover their butts than anything else. I agree that losing a job is different from losing one's freedom. I have my job. I cannot go hit with my daughter at a facility I am still paying to be a member of. I cannot go with her to the "public" fields and hit with her. I cannot go to any high school fields with her. We are being told to not let our kids see their friends and the family. This IS a loss of freedom. It's not the end of the world in these cases, but how many freedoms do we give up?

Jun 8, 2016
Wasn't in this particular article, see below.

At Wednesday’s White House briefing, Anthony S. Fauci, the nation’s top infectious-diseases expert and the face of the U.S. response, said we could “relax social distancing” once there’s “no new cases, no deaths,” but the real turning point won’t come until there’s a vaccine.

Ok he actually said essentially and I don't exactly what that means (I would have to see the curve Dr. Birx showed) but yes he is
saying based upon our current capabilities in order to be safe the numbers would have to be low. I agree with that.

Anyway, here is the full quote for context:

“I think if we get to the part of the curve that Dr. Birx showed yesterday when it goes down to essentially no new cases, no new deaths at a period of time. I think it makes sense that you will have to relax social distancing,” Fauci said.

“The one thing we hopefully would have in place, and I believe we will have in place, is a much more robust system to be able to identify someone who was infected, isolate them and then do contact tracing,” he said.

“If you have a really good program of containment that prevents you from ever having to get into mitigation, we are in mitigation right now. That’s what the social and physical distancing is. The ultimate solution to a virus that might keep coming back would be a vaccine. In fact, I was on the weekly conference call with the W.H.O.- sponsored group of all the health leaders in the world for dealing with this,” the director said.

“We all came to the agreement that we may have cycling with another season, much better prepared. We will likely have interventions. The ultimate game changer in this will be a vaccine, the same way a vaccine for other diseases. Now we don't worry about them,” Fauci said.

“The vaccine is as I said, it's on target. We are still in phase one. There were three doses we had to attest to. We had been through the first two doses and were on the highest dose now. When we get that data, it will take a few months to get that data. A few months from now we will be in phase two, and I think they’re right on target to a year or year and a half,” he said.

May 20, 2016
Looks like college athletics might be on hold for the fall. Conference Chairs had a call with the VP and said that they would not resume athletics until all students came back to school. Their fear was law suits if they made provisions for athletes to come back but not regular students.

Seemed like they were setting up moving all sports to spring 2021.

Jun 8, 2016
This IS a loss of freedom. It's not the end of the world in these cases, but how many freedoms do we give up?
We can afford to give up these luxuries for another month or two so that we can hopefully have them uninterrupted by late Fall/Winter or early next year. That is how I look at it. The job issue is a different story and more difficult to navigate from a moral perspective. Without jobs people are going to suffer real sufferings, kids going hungry etc.

Apr 1, 2017
It gets tricky though separating luxuries from jobs. It might be a luxury for me right now to go to a restaurant with a group of friends. But it's also 25 restaurant employees out of work, and multiple suppliers, and, and, and... all the way to no tax revenue coming in for the local/state governments to pay for all the social programs needed.

I'm not arguing with you pattar, it's more me venting out of frustration/depression of how long this could drag out.

Jun 8, 2016
I'm not arguing with you pattar, it's more me venting out of frustration/depression of how long this could drag out.
I know, look this is crappy for everybody. My 5 YO was supposed to start T-ball for the first time and had a countdown calendar to his 1st day of practice. When my wife told he wouldn't be practicing that day and didn't know when or if he would, he went to his room and drew a big X on that day with a sad face next to it.. :(

The silver lining in all of this is hopefully when things get back to normal, and they will, people will not take so many things for granted...

Mar 28, 2014
We can afford to give up these luxuries for another month or two so that we can hopefully have them uninterrupted by late Fall/Winter or early next year. That is how I look at it. The job issue is a different story and more difficult to navigate from a moral perspective. Without jobs people are going to suffer real sufferings, kids going hungry etc.
you look at it from the lens of a guy that is still getting paid and has a guaranteed job. You need to try to look at it from the lense of the guy , that say, lives in a Texas county with zero cases who has 4 kids and is living paycheck to paycheck. That will change your thinking.

This country has always had levels of acceptable deaths for different things. For instance, almost 40,000 people a year die from traffic accidents. If we were to drop the speed limit to 10 mph, those numbers would go down dramatically. So why don't we do it? Because of convenience and our economy. We have accepted a certain level of fatalities in exchange for a efficient economy. We need to do the same thing with Covid-19. Like the seasonal Flu, we will never see zero cases and deaths from it.

You seem to be wanting a significantly lower acceptable fatality rate than most everyone else and that's easy to do when you have a guaranteed job like you do.

Jun 8, 2016
you look at it from the lens of a guy that is still getting paid and has a guaranteed job. You need to try to look at it from the lense of the guy , that say, lives in a Texas county with zero cases who has 4 kids and is living paycheck to paycheck. That will change your thinking.
You are right I am still getting paid so my lense may be clouded. I am willing to admit that. What I will say is what happens if we open too early and then we have 3 or 4 more spikes and that guy either loses his job everytime or their is nobody willing to hire him since the employers fear having to shutdown again and again. It is not black and white that opening now will make things better for the whole as we move forward, at least it isn't to me.

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
Luxuries? How about liberties!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Char4eyes