Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 28, 2014
Where did I say that? Opening back up should be done on a regional basis as your buddy Fauci has mentioned a number of times.
I said "seem to". Have not seen you qualify your opinion as being regional only. If you have then I missed it.

Mar 28, 2014
Where did I say that? Opening back up should be done on a regional basis as your buddy Fauci has mentioned a number of times.
And I like how you take one small part of my comments and dissect it while completely ignoring the rest. This is twice you have done that which indicates you have no interest in discussing this so adios.

Jun 8, 2016
And I like how you take one small part of my comments and dissect it while completely ignoring the rest. This is twice you have done that which indicates you have no interest in discussing this so adios.
The whole post was about doing it on a regional basis, which I agree with. I only responded to the part which I didn't agree with. I apologize for not giving you the kudos you deserve for agreeing with me. Stop looking for arguments where there are none..

May 20, 2016
It's going to be tough no matter what is done. I try not to weigh in on it too much as it is at my door step, people i'll never get to talk to again. I can see how it is tough for places that haven't seen the issues we've seen in ny. Thing is, it's never a problem, until it is. I truly hope no place sees it like we have in NY, but if you do, it's no longer just a ticker on the side of the TV.

Oct 2, 2017
It's going to be tough no matter what is done. I try not to weigh in on it too much as it is at my door step, people i'll never get to talk to again. I can see how it is tough for places that haven't seen the issues we've seen in ny. Thing is, it's never a problem, until it is. I truly hope no place sees it like we have in NY, but if you do, it's no longer just a ticker on the side of the TV.
I'm sorry for your loss. I have a family member who had it in california, while in the hospital for a stroke. He has since recovered. My mother might have it, doctors are not going to test for it yet, but she has the symptoms. So I understand that its at the door. My issue is that we have not had the same response to deaths due to other, lets just say for this example: The Flu. I know people don't like that being brought up, but the truth of the matter is that we have 39-56 million cases in the US alone from Oct. 1-April 4 2020. 18-26 million medical visists 410-740,000 hospitalizations, 24-62,000 deaths. Of all ages by the way, but we have never shut down the economy like we have for this. We have never as a country had this type of reaction. I'm not saying that it is nothing to worry about, but death is death. Yet we never batted an eye and wen't about lives as if those people that died from the flu over the last 6 months weren't anything to worry about. That's with a vaccination by the way. We didn't as with this virus basically hand over our freedoms to the government in the name of health. The reaction is not justified in my opinion. We need to open up, or the ramifications are going to have deeper and longer lasting results. JMO

Jun 8, 2016
I'm sorry for your loss. I have a family member who had it in california, while in the hospital for a stroke. He has since recovered. My mother might have it, doctors are not going to test for it yet, but she has the symptoms. So I understand that its at the door. My issue is that we have not had the same response to deaths due to other, lets just say for this example: The Flu. I know people don't like that being brought up, but the truth of the matter is that we have 39-56 million cases in the US alone from Oct. 1-April 4 2020. 18-26 million medical visists 410-740,000 hospitalizations, 24-62,000 deaths. Of all ages by the way, but we have never shut down the economy like we have for this. We have never as a country had this type of reaction. I'm not saying that it is nothing to worry about, but death is death. Yet we never batted an eye and wen't about lives as if those people that died from the flu over the last 6 months weren't anything to worry about. That's with a vaccination by the way. We didn't as with this virus basically hand over our freedoms to the government in the name of health. The reaction is not justified in my opinion. We need to open up, or the ramifications are going to have deeper and longer lasting results. JMO
The number of deaths from the flu is fairly stable from one year to the next, we know what to expect and we have made the determination that the numbers involved are not worth the risk of shuttering the economy. The possible overreaction to this was due to the unknown.

Oct 2, 2017
The number of deaths from the flu is fairly stable from one year to the next, we know what to expect and we have made the determination that the numbers involved are not worth the risk of shuttering the economy. The possible overreaction to this was due to the unknown.
I can't agree, and I respect your opinion, but the over reaction, was based upon a model that made assumptions and was stated as fact. Hence the 1.5-2.2 million deaths. Who wouldn't that set back on their heels in fear. As far as the flu numbers being stable is not the point. The point is that we are locking down society for 33,000 deaths due to this virus, but yet we don't for the 24-62000 deaths that happen year after year. Again Death is death and if we justify it for the sake of this virus why not any other. I'm not trying to downplay the problems people are facing, just trying to be realistic about it.

Jun 8, 2016
I can't agree, and I respect your opinion, but the over reaction, was based upon a model that made assumptions and was stated as fact. Hence the 1.5-2.2 million deaths. Who wouldn't that set back on their heals in fear. As far as the flu numbers being stable is not the point. The point is that we are locking down society for 33,000 deaths due to this virus, but yet we don't for the 24-62000 deaths that happen year after year.
The models had ranges of deaths so no nothing was stated as fact. The ranges are there because the scientists are inherently saying things are uncertain. In my research area that is call uncertainty quantification. The models produce a probability curve where the low probability events would be the low and high number of deaths the models produced and then you would have a mean value which they are saying is most likely based upon the data they have. Now that may not have been explained well, and that is the fault of the people giving out the information. Also I am not saying the models did well, even in their ranges since I don't think the initial mean value they predicted is anywhere near where it is going to end up. To do the uncertainty quantification, the model parameters have to be given in a statistical manner (e.g. they are input as probability distributions) as well. More than likely the statistics for the parameters were off significantly at the beginning. All I am saying is that nothing was stated as fact, at least not by the modelers.

I am glad that the deaths are only 33000 at this point. Do we know what that number would have been had we not locked down the society? The healthcare system can handle 62000 deaths from the flu, we know that. If the stay at home orders had not been given the deaths from this may have been 3 or 4 times the 33,000 at which point people having heart attacks could have died unnecessarily. If the country was better able to handle this initially (from various standpoints ) then a lot of the shutdowns could have been avoided. That was the fault of many entities. Hopefully we learn from this for the future.

Now, that being said, we are at point where each state needs to determine based upon their economic advisors, along with more accurate models (due to more accurate data, e.g. less uncertainty) when it is reasonable to open back up.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp