Fauci Says there is a way sports (ie Professional Sports) can resume this summer.... this does not sound good for softball to return before fall...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Here is the issue you face when you discuss all of this. It's easy to say "People are angry, we should open everything up, let the chips fall where they may," when you are talking about abstract numbers. It's easy to say when you're talking about "them."

How many will volunteer their sons, daughters, parents, spouses, etc. so we can open the economy back up? Is that a good tradeoff? I know it's not for me. I would rather err on the side of caution than take a chance on losing someone I love. I can replace stuff. I can't replace people.

Feb 20, 2020
Boston
All kinds of different thoughts here about opening up the country. I think it’s safe to say there’s no date that will satisfy everyone. I get people need to work. Fine. Then the whole kids sports should all be canceled. Too bad if your child will miss last year or majors in baseball or miss her last 14u year. Get over it. Anyone with sense would agree it’s just kids playing games. Get the parents back to work first. Then start up in the fall or even next year with sports.

Apr 1, 2017
Here is the issue you face when you discuss all of this. It's easy to say "People are angry, we should open everything up, let the chips fall where they may," when you are talking about abstract numbers. It's easy to say when you're talking about "them."

How many will volunteer their sons, daughters, parents, spouses, etc. so we can open the economy back up? Is that a good tradeoff? I know it's not for me. I would rather err on the side of caution than take a chance on losing someone I love. I can replace stuff. I can't replace people.

Obviously, nobody is signing up to die. Using that thinking, we all just stay in our homes forever. We aren't there now, but it will come down to the "smart people" figuring out how we get to a point where the death counts are acceptable. The text below is from the CDC website, and yet I could walk into any store today and buy cigarettes. You could say I at least have a choice in that death, but even their numbers say 41,000 year from second hand smoke.

"Cigarette smoking is responsible for more than 480,000 deaths per year in the United States, including more than 41,000 deaths resulting from secondhand smoke exposure. This is about one in five deaths annually, or 1,300 deaths every day. On average, smokers die 10 years earlier than nonsmokers."

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
I have no idea what a month or two is going to change. The choice is either wait for the vaccine (12 plus months and who wants to be the guinea pig for a rushed thru vaccine?) or open up with cautions with at risk people staying home. The virus will still be out there a month or two from now. The experts say that 40 to 60% are going to be exposed. Better to let it happen in the summer.
I wIsh there was more antibody testing because I think we are going to find out a lot of people already had it. I live in Orange County CA, home to 3.2 million people. We have had under 23 deaths. (look it up) Nobody can explain it. It is not all social distancing. I have been to the grocery store.
I think the nonsensical restrictions on parks and hiking trails and even beaches where it is pretty easy to practice social distancing while the grocery stores and home depot (where it is impossible to social distant) are open. Makes no sense.

Jun 8, 2016
I live in Orange County CA, home to 3.2 million people. We have had under 20 deaths. (look it up) Nobody can explain it.
From I have read, there may be various strains of this and the West Coast strain, which may have originated from China, is less deadly than the East Coast strain, which may have originated from Europe.. 🤷‍♂️

Apr 20, 2018
SoCal
From I have read, there may be various strains of this and the West Coast strain, which may have originated from China, is less deadly than the East Coast strain, which may have originated from Europe.. 🤷‍♂️
I guess this begs the question, if I have the antibodies from the china strain will I have immunity to the Italian strain?
Also different strains??? How many??

Jun 8, 2016
I guess this begs the question, if I have the antibodies from the china strain will I have immunity to the Italian strain?
Also different strains??? How many??
We deal with that with the flu vaccine every year I think. They choose the strain (or strains?) which they think will be most likely to occur and then use that to vaccinate. I think in that case even if they choose wrong, if you get flu your symptoms will be reduced. They don't know a lot about Covid-19 at this point (e.g. how long are you immune, etc) so I don't think there is a concrete answer to this (and a lot of other questions).

Mar 28, 2014
You are right I am still getting paid so my lense may be clouded. I am willing to admit that. What I will say is what happens if we open too early and then we have 3 or 4 more spikes and that guy either loses his job everytime or their is nobody willing to hire him since the employers fear having to shutdown again and again. It is not black and white that opening now will make things better for the whole as we move forward, at least it isn't to me.
When talking about "opening back up", too many people including yourself seem to take a one size fits all approach. Thing is, not every place is like NYC. Lets take for example, Tyler Texas in Smith County. Smith County has a population of 209,000 people. They have had only 2 coronavirus deaths there. A 91 year old and a 51 year old, both with underlying health issues. That's a .000957% fatality rate. Meanwhile there are thousands of people out of work and struggling financially. For what? 2 deaths? That's extreme. More people than that died on the highways there over the past month. There is no reason for most of these areas to be under the same restrictions that NYC is under. Change my mind.

Jun 8, 2016
When talking about "opening back up", too many people including yourself seem to take a one size fits all approach.
Where did I say that? Opening back up should be done on a regional basis as your buddy Fauci has mentioned a number of times.

Mar 28, 2014
And that's fine. If you are concerned, continue to practice social distancing. Don't go out to eat or to the gym. Don't give your pitching lessons. Wear a mask in public. Wash your hands often and don't touch your face. Don't visit your older relatives. Get your groceries delivered. No one is going to prevent anyone from practicing their preferred level of safety, just don't impose that on everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zwhickcar