Fatal Flaws of Softball Pitching

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In Shakespearean tragedies, the protagonist always had a "fatal flaw" that would ultimately lead to his demise. E.g., MacBeth was too ambitious. Hamlet was a procrastinator.

So, what are the fatal flaws of the softball pitching motion? Those things that a pitcher has to fix or she will never advance?

E.g., the infamous forward lean.

Any others?

bmd

Jan 9, 2015
In my opinion its would be lack of drive and passion for the circle. But as far as the motion itself, it would be the inability to feel how to whip.

Jul 14, 2018
...or if you can't recognize how the ball is spinning.

We are so living through this right now. DD has just started working on her rise, and we usually begin by throwing close to one another, slowly, just trying to get the spin right.

She does well getting backspin slow and close, but once she backs up and starts throwing harder, she can’t tell if it’s spinning correctly and my old eyes are just concerned with not getting hit in the face.

Every once in a while, a pitch will level off and not have any downward break, and I’ll yell, “I think that was right!!”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aug 24, 2018
Lack of Brush Interference.

I've seen this one myself. Stud at 10u, Stud at 12u, 2nd year 14s and is giving up pitching. Velocity hit 60, but can't find the strike zone. Converted from HE and never got rid of the monkey butt. I couldn't believe it when I saw her the other day. Had to slow it down to mid forties to get it over the plate.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00