Need some advice/drills on correcting some mechanical flaws

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2016
You can also see how it would be easier to let the back foot off the ground in the first picture than in the 2nd. It is easy to see how the forward lean and the leap can be related.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

May 9, 2019
I just watched some college pitchers on youtube, and a lot of them actually get their back toe off the ground initially, and then come back down to drag. Is that not illegal as well? Or does it just need to come down soon enough so it's not that noticeable? I could only tell by watching it in slow motion. For example, look at Kaitlin Lee from Ole Miss at around 45 seconds here

her back toe definitely hops and comes back down. I also notice her toe drag looks a little unorthodox.

Also look at exactly the 5 min mark by another pitcher, that back toe comes up as well.
So why is this not illegal?

My last question may be a very dumb question so please excuse me ahead of time. Why do you need to drag the back toe? Is it to assure the pitcher is definitely not crow hopping? For balance?

May 15, 2008
Cape Cod Mass.
Technically you need it to be legal, although it is not called tightly because it's often hard to see without slo-mo video.

To promote good body angles I like to use a fire and fall back drill. I start it dry without a ball by getting them to land on the front foot and immediately jump back onto the drag foot. This teaches them to land on a flexed front leg and jumping back keeps them angled properly.

Sep 29, 2014
@hummingbird for a good assessment just check video if you aren't going to post it. You simply aren't under any alphabet soup organization I'm aware of ever allowed to have both feet off the ground it has nothing to do with "crow hoping" it is "leaping" which is actually called a lot more. The issue becomes if the only real way to tell is view a video in super slo mo and watch the girls foot leave the ground then come right back into contact it's just not going to get called on the margins like that, it need to be percievable to the human eye in real time standing by first base or behind the plate. One contributing factor to this at many poorly maintained fields around the country is there is a hole in front of the pitching plate this basically creates a little ramp as the toe leave the pitching plate and its really hard to keep your foot down without digging it into the ground which you shouldn't be doing it should be gliding over the ground.

Nov 8, 2018
I just watched some college pitchers on youtube, and a lot of them actually get their back toe off the ground initially, and then come back down to drag. Is that not illegal as well? Or does it just need to come down soon enough so it's not that noticeable? I could only tell by watching it in slow motion. For example, look at Kaitlin Lee from Ole Miss at around 45 seconds here

her back toe definitely hops and comes back down. I also notice her toe drag looks a little unorthodox.

Also look at exactly the 5 min mark by another pitcher, that back toe comes up as well.
So why is this not illegal?

My last question may be a very dumb question so please excuse me ahead of time. Why do you need to drag the back toe? Is it to assure the pitcher is definitely not crow hopping? For balance?

Oh it’s illegal but not called much. Not sure why but the rear toe needs to be in contact with the ground 100% of the time till the ball is released.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jan 3, 2019
Florida
It looks like there's no difference between the two pics, but sometimes it's the little things that make the biggest difference. I've been battling this with my DD for awhile now but I think we've recently made some headway. I'll try some of the cues that some of the others suggested in this thread.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13