Fastpitch Face Masks Revisited

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
It's only been about a year since a D1 coach told the infielders they shouldn't be wearing a mask.. This was at a recruiting camp DD was at...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
While much of the responsibility for the anti-facemask stigma may lie with Coaches at various levels, the comments of some parents and players contribute significantly. I have heard many a parent or player lament that they cannot get traction in the recruiting process or make varsity because of the facemask stigma. The harsh truth is the lack of interest is more often than not due the players skill, not the head gear. Unfortunately the less informed hear this, buy into this rationalization and it spreads throughout the softball world.

Well, there will always be excuses. Maybe the mask thing will take the place of "the coach doesn't like me" as the leading excuse. Still...

In the specific instance I'm referring to, this was what the varsity coach actually told her players - you wear a mask you don't make varsity. You wear a mask you won't be recruited. The player I heard it from was already on varsity, and she gave up her mask to get there.

Nov 12, 2013
maritimes
i think the issue with the titanium masks and the hockey goalie masks is their relative weight to the ball. the light weight titanium can withstand the impact but has less mass and less inertia to overcome when hit which leads to head acceleration.

Jun 7, 2013
One of the ideal goals of a face mask is to deflect the ball so that the player does not have to absorb the entire impact. As for titanium, it takes less force to move it than other metals and, thereby, the head will be subjected to more force.

Mar 29, 2012
While much of the responsibility for the anti-facemask stigma may lie with Coaches at various levels, the comments of some parents and players contribute significantly. I have heard many a parent or player lament that they cannot get traction in the recruiting process or make varsity because of the facemask stigma. The harsh truth is the lack of interest is more often than not due the players skill, not the head gear. Unfortunately the less informed hear this, buy into this rationalization and it spreads throughout the softball world.

When a kid goes to multiple clinics, and camps and hear from multiple college coaches mouths that the only way they look at a player wearing a mask is if they are a pitcher and are exceptional then it affects the kid. If the kid isn't a pitcher what else do you think they will do except drop the mask.

Jan 7, 2013
Hitting fixes everything. If your DD is hitting the hotshot pitcher they've made an exception for a facemask, I doubt they will turn her away because she wears a mask. If they do, they're not very smart. Kellly Barnhill wears a mask at Florida. Very few players could hit her before college. If my DD was smashing her 70MPH fastball and handling the junk behind it, I'm sure other SEC schools would look past the mask.

Plus, I don't believe a mask affects fielding skills. It still hurts when you get hit in the face on a bad hop wearing a mask, you just don't get broken bones and cartilage, or damaged eye sight. If your DD flinches without a mask, she will still flinch with a mask. Good fielding skills are developed by fear of being hit by the ball, they're developed by repetition and perfect practice. Doesn't matter if the mask is there or not.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA