Fastpitch Face Masks Revisited

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
It is great that the trending use of fielding masks in college has pretty much removed the associated stigma for the younger players. However, I find it interesting that what happens in college ball is somehow considered relevant to what should happen in REC, HS, or TB. Coaches and parents need to remember that actions and expectations need to be aligned with the age and skill of the player. You cannot watch games on ESPN and then carry those expectations with you to your local field.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2015
Georgia
I think the face masks will eventually not be a point of discussion as the younger girls that have grown up wearing them will likely continue to do so. My DD is 12U and has always worn a mask, her teammates wear them and every team we play wears them. If these girls play in college, I don't they will do anything different because they don't know anything different.

Last edited:
Jun 12, 2015
It is great that the trending use of fielding masks in college has pretty much removed the associated stigma for the younger players. However, I find it interesting that what happens in college ball is somehow considered relevant to what should happen in REC, HS, or TB. Coaches and parents need to remember that actions and expectations need to be aligned with the age and skill of the player. You cannot watch games on ESPN and then carry those expectations with you to your local field.

ITA! I'm not very invested in what college girls do - they're adults and if they want to risk their faces I guess that's their choice. I'm not really huge on rules/laws protecting people from themselves in general. But for the under 18 set, they're minors. They should be wearing them, period, if they're infielders. That is JMO. And I do hope the trend continues with more college girls choosing to wear them.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
The good thing about college players wearing the masks is it removes the idea (which I have heard propagated by local HS coaches here) that if you're wearing a mask you won't be recruited. And by extension you won't be playing for that coach on the varsity either because clearly your skills aren't good enough if you have to wear a mask.

Personally, I have gotten to the point where if I see a pitcher not wearing a mask I am very comfortable watching her. That's a huge change from a few years ago. I think the culture is changing at the younger ages so that they're commonplace. Now just have to win over the "old school" coaches - including the young coaches who didn't wear a mask when they were playing.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
While much of the responsibility for the anti-facemask stigma may lie with Coaches at various levels, the comments of some parents and players contribute significantly. I have heard many a parent or player lament that they cannot get traction in the recruiting process or make varsity because of the facemask stigma. The harsh truth is the lack of interest is more often than not due the players skill, not the head gear. Unfortunately the less informed hear this, buy into this rationalization and it spreads throughout the softball world.

May 14, 2015
Bismarck ND
To me its like driving a motorcycle without a helmet. Its for the just in case moments, the new titanium ones are so light and strong its unreal, DD will have one on all the time, shes 12 and been wearing it since TB at 8, doesnt know any different now. All the girls wear them up here, in fact its mandatory for pitch, 1st and 3rd to wear them even in league.

Nov 18, 2013
To me its like driving a motorcycle without a helmet. Its for the just in case moments, the new titanium ones are so light and strong its unreal, DD will have one on all the time, shes 12 and been wearing it since TB at 8, doesnt know any different now. All the girls wear them up here, in fact its mandatory for pitch, 1st and 3rd to wear them even in league.

I've read articles about debate in the baseball world over titanium catchers masks leading to concussion problems. Some believe with no give in the stronger titanium, catchers receive the full force of the impact. Not sure if its true, but interesting to consider when selecting a fielders mask.

May 24, 2013
So Cal
I've read articles about debate in the baseball world over titanium catchers masks leading to concussion problems. Some believe with no give in the stronger titanium, catchers receive the full force of the impact. Not sure if its true, but interesting to consider when selecting a fielders mask.

I haven't read the articles related to catcher's masks, but I'm a little familiar with the properties of titanium. Titanium is light like aluminum, and has strength similar to steel. Titanium structures can be built lighter and/or stronger than the same structures made from aluminum or steel. Titanium is also less malleable than steel (harder to bend/shape). This is great for many applications, but reports of titanium cages transmitting more impact than steel cages doesn't surprise me at all.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA