Faster: The need for speed!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 8, 2012
NJ
Suprisingly. ..just core training alone can help...though I do like sprint training, its pretty specialized. I like core training overall...then sprint training when ready to focus on one aspect. Core training overall is well worth the time invested and usually has some speed/agility mixed in

Aug 4, 2011
How about trying to record her running and then look at it in slo-mo for inefficiencies? Does she get a strong aggressive start, is she pumping her arms powerfully cheek to cheek, is she up on the balls of her feet, is she leaning forward, is her head focussed straight ahead or is it bobbing about, etc? I've heard that even without a lot of muscle-building work, just removing a few bad habits and replacing them with effective running techniques can really increase a girl's running ability.

I've been meaning to reply to this thread for a while. What MsDinosaur wrote is really at the heart of the matter for becoming faster. It's about learning and honing the skill of sprinting. Back to the mechanics. Strength or core training is great for general health and injury prevention. It's also great for improving the power of the mechanics being learned. However, having a 400lb squat does not guarantee a fast 100 meter dash or mean that you can now dunk a basketball. Although, all other things being equal, being stronger can give you an advantage. For now, put away the sleds and parachutes, until you've tackled proper sprinting form.

Here's a decent general overview for sprinting and its stages. I'd only use the illustrations as a guide. It would be better to watch Olympic sprinters in slow motion to see what's really happening.

Here's some drills to help ingrain proper sprinting habits.

I haven't done sprinting drills in a long time. Probably tear something if I tried. So I would double check suggested drills and long-held sprinting beliefs against what current studies or coaches have found.

Good luck!

Jun 24, 2013
I haven't done sprinting drills in a long time. Probably tear something if I tried. Good luck!
It's funny you say that. While doing a running the bases drill with the girls I tore my calf muscle. It popped at 3rd and someone behind the plate heard it and started yelling "What snapped?" It was a game we invented where the coaches would start at 3rd, the girls would start at home and once they hit first the coaches would take off (full speed) at third and try to catch them before they made it home. After it was my 2nd turn the above happened to me. At first I thought someone had hit me in the back of my leg with a softball, and I thought "We're doing running drills, who is throwing softballs?" and then I heard that mom asking what snapped and I knew it wasn't going to be good. I was out of running commision for a year. My fualt was that I didn't properly stretch before practice, too busy filling out paperwork! My team has not let me forget it. So my point is, make sure you stretch first.

That being said, I notice a lot of girls with poor running mechanics. Running flat footed, heavy on the feet (stomping) or they have their weight back when running. A lot of girls also try rocking to get going. The problem with rocking is that sometimes they start going before getting their weight shifted forward enough and end up running straight up or weight back too far. so definitely look at her mechanics first. Video recorders work wonders and I have bought software for my computer to produce videos and one benefit is that I can slow the clips down to analyze the running motion. We also use parachutes and bungy cords (one person holds it while they run forward- also use them for pitching stride strength also). Some people will tell you that you can't teach speed. They are wrong. I used to look like Foghorn Leghorn when running to first and would get thrown out most times. I had a fellow teammate correct my mechanics (I was leaning too far back and running flat footed) and then I became a very hard out at first. I actually had other teams comment on my speed. One time I even started to fall down as I was leaving the box, decided to go into a roll instead of face planting, got up and still beat the throw. So all the strength training won't improve you much until you correct the mechanics. Like the previous poster said, but sometimes it is good to hear it from several perspectives.

Aug 4, 2011
It's funny you say that. While doing a running the bases drill with the girls I tore my calf muscle. It popped at 3rd and someone behind the plate heard it and started yelling "What snapped?" It was a game we invented where the coaches would start at 3rd, the girls would start at home and once they hit first the coaches would take off (full speed) at third and try to catch them before they made it home. After it was my 2nd turn the above happened to me. At first I thought someone had hit me in the back of my leg with a softball, and I thought "We're doing running drills, who is throwing softballs?" and then I heard that mom asking what snapped and I knew it wasn't going to be good.

LOL! Perfectly described! When I tore my calf muscle I thought I was hit from a golf ball line drive. Of course I was nowhere near a golf course.

Ironically, if you would have stretched, it may not have mattered. I recall a study that stated that stretching before an athletic, explosive performance, actually weakens the muscles by a small percentage. There are plenty of articles about stating that dynamic warm-ups are the best way to go. From what I gather by the studies, is that stretching should be part of a conditioning program to make sure you already have the necessary range of motion for your given activity. There are more suitable ways to warm up.

Here's an Interesting site: FIFA 11+ | a complete warm-up programme.
It's main focus is soccer, but can still be altered and applied to softball.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd