Fastening my lawnchair-belt...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2009
8yo DD is my youngest girl. She pitched in 8u rec league because few kids had the coordination to do it at all. She did well for that league. Fast-forward to fall when her 8u travel team moved to 10u. She still practices pitching form, etc, but informs me and her coach that she wants to catch.

"Abs, you're not a catcher." <lol>

"Yes I am!"

"But you are long and lean and beautiful..."

"Yep, and a catcher too."

<sigh> "You are a pitcher like your sister and every team needs pitchers."

"Nope, I am a catcher. They need catchers too."

"Yes, they do, but that is the dirtiest, sweatiest, most exhausting position on the field...especially with a 9yo teammate pitching." <go on to explain long innings/walks in the heat>

"I can do it!"

I say 'fine' and think to myself "this should last about 2 innings, or maybe 2 outs." The first game the coach put her behind the plate in some old, stinky, poorly fitted gear and said 'ok...catch.' After 3 innings she looks at me in the stands between innings. A couple of bangs fell in front of her eyes onto her dirty face--she pushes them aside and glues them to the sweat on her temple and motions for me to come over to the chain link.

"I told you. <cocks her head> I am a catcher! Why would I pitch when I was born to catch?"

Inning by inning, she takes to it like a duck to water. Game by game, she sticks it out over a 6 week travel league and is addicted. She got a new glove midway through and has it broken in already. Her 9th birthday is next week and her catcher's gear should be arriving Monday and Tuesday. That will be one happy 9u.

Mom, sisters, brothers, and I are excited just thinking about how thrilled she'll be when she sees her gear. Over the weeks we have all come to realize that she was right. Like some catchers--the ones who aren't 'players who catch', but 'catchers who play'--she seems to be a different animal. She still says she was born to catch very matter of factly as if she didn't really choose it, but she was somehow predisposed to catch. Sounds crazy, but we're all pretty much believing it now.

She's not quite 9. She might hang it up by summer and declare herself a first baseman, but I doubt it. Whatever the case, I'm along for the ride and plan to enjoy every minute of it! Go get 'em, Ab!

May 7, 2008
Tucson
She needs to meet Callista Balko, another blonde, beautiful, tough as nails catcher. She teaches at the local hitting center, here in Tucson.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
These times are changing... Some of my best catchers are also long and lean. They may cover SS or center field as well. Fast, athletic catchers are in high demand these days. Sounds like your DD is off to a great start! Cherish the moments as they go by waaayyyyyyyy too quickly! Do get her sound instruction though. It will make a BIG difference! :D

Mar 13, 2010
Great story!

There's nothing better than a player who not only WANTS to be a position, but actually has the ability to do so. It breaks your heart whenever you have a player who desperatly wants something, puts all the effort in, but just hasn't got it.

sru

Jun 20, 2008
My DD went from pitching to catching, she too is very tall and lean. She went from third catcher getting very little playing time to starter. It is definitely the toughest postion on the field, and she will be working very hard with 9yo pitchers!

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
"I am a catcher! Why would I pitch when I was born to catch?"

She might hang it up by summer and declare herself a first baseman, but I doubt it. Whatever the case, I'm along for the ride and plan to enjoy every minute of it! Go get 'em, Ab!

It's a done deal, hook, line, and sinker - the kid is and will always be a C - there's simply no other position that compares. Sounds like it will be a great b'day - new gear that fits and that doesn't smell like someone else's blood, sweat, and tears will be very GTG!

You'll make her Xmas if you get her a copy of Catching Coach's catching DVD - its probably the best SB purchase I've ever made.

GM

Jan 24, 2009
It's a done deal, hook, line, and sinker - the kid is and will always be a C - there's simply no other position that compares. Sounds like it will be a great b'day - new gear that fits and that doesn't smell like someone else's blood, sweat, and tears will be very GTG!

You'll make her Xmas if you get her a copy of Catching Coach's catching DVD - its probably the best SB purchase I've ever made.

GM

GM, good point. I bought Coach Dave's DVD some time ago to train a catcher for my older DD who pitches 12u. It is amazing how much better the pitchers look when throwing to a well trained catcher. That's right, thanks to coach Dave, that catcher who is trained to receive correctly has made a huge improvement in the pitching staff! I'd recommend the DVD to anyone as long as they won't be in our bracket this season!

Update, most of the gear came today and it is all I can do to wait a couple of days until her b-day to give it to her. Don't know if I'll make it! VW

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Update, most of the gear came today and it is all I can do to wait a couple of days until her b-day to give it to her. Don't know if I'll make it! VW

Come on VW, you got to be strong for your daughter's sake. We're rootin' for ya!

BTW - Ever been to NH before?

Jan 24, 2009
Pics make it better...

a few thousand words:

Attachments

• DSC03322..JPG
    DSC03322..JPG
    26.9 KB · Views: 110
  • DSC03324..jpg
    DSC03324..jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 95
  • DSC03318..jpg