Falling out with PC

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
Hal, the last time she was on the Gun about a month ago, she maxed out at 45, average was 43. Funny you should ask about speed only..... what she was working on in the "Big Picture" is locating her pitches.... so her ultimate goal is hitting locations. For this portion of her progression with this coach, she throws at an "In The Zone" pitching target. Primary goal during this phase is hit the target. Second is hit it with velocity. As for the conversations they had regarding the terms primary and secondary energy transfer... I had no problem with that. She explained it quite well to DD. In fact it made a lot of sense. The push down into the rubber to generate the forward momentum is the primary..... the forward momentum into the plant foot is the secondary. I'm sure it's her made up terminology....but it makes sense... to me anyway. And she explained it well enough for that not to be a concern for DD. The actual practice of doing it the way she expects it to be done is another animal all together. Her terminology is similair to what I've read on here as throwing into a strong front side with an aggressive powerful load and push.

Sparky Guy, there was no "nonsense" going on during the lesson. Just a lack of what I would call success at the goals of the lesson. It wasn't a horrible lesson in my opinion, that is until she got fatigued. Then it all started to fall apart until the wheels fell off and the bus crashed.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Of course we're not there to see exactly what is going on, but it is the PC's responsibility to cut the cord if progress is not being made. If the kid is truly dissinterested, cut the cord. If you see there is no progress, cut the cord. If you do not like the way the PC is treating your dd, cut the cord.

Dec 7, 2011
We've tried like 6 different PC's throughout the years. Not because we were always unhappy with them it's just that I suffered from the grass is greener philosophy. I always thought there was something magical that some other PC could do for DD. (that was stupid of me and luckily we didn't waist too much searching for the holy grail of PC's.....)

After running through all 6 of these I have seen PC's who might be technically better than the one we have stuck with. We have also seen "veterans" that are thought of a "know-alls" that actually know nothing. In the end we landed on the PC that has these qualities (in order of precedence):
1. DD knows PC and PC knows DD. They can know what each other are thinking without even having to speak it at times.
2. PC has that special competitive edge. This edge drives DD to want to perform. Being your best is "in the air" with this PC.
3. and third here is that PC has a good (doesn't need to be great) technical foundation for teaching how to pitch.

A point I am aligned with - Pitching will have many different styles. MANY of them can be successful and any one PC that says "this must go this specific way or you will never add up to anything",... well,...I would be skeptical on that PC.

A strong parallel example - DW has been getting very much in shape these days. I asked her what the magic has been this time, after many other attempts. She simply said it's her trainer at the health club. This person has the psychological "magic" to get people to want to go that extra mile without being made uncomfortable about their level they are at. Same thing applies to PC's.

So given that your PC is breaking my top rule - ditch that PC!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
One of the fist things I talked to DD about when she was going to start giving lessons was that there is a point of diminishing returns and that no matter how badly the coach wants the student to get it, the student isn't ready yet. They can try as hard as humanly possible for them and yet, something has not clicked yet. It will and it might click without a PC around at all. It sounds to me that there was line crossed between coaching and badgering. When insults start to fly, that is the time the PC needs to step back. DD had two main PCs. We went to a free lesson from a 3rd. From that lesson, it was clear that it would not be a good fit. I think highly of the other two PCs and would recommend both. One was laid back and didn't push DD at all. Still, he was a great teacher of pitching. The other was a Type A personality and pushed hard. Still, she knew when enough was enough.

You are concerned about what to do now. See about who is available in the area. Ask for references. Ask if any give a free lesson. Ask for references. Oh, did I mention Ask for references? It is important to hear from those who have been in that instruction for some time. However, you have one more option when you finally feel removed from some of the emotion of this past lesson. Why not talk to this PC if you think she knows what she is doing and then let her know your concerns? If you don't like that conversation, you will be wasting your time signing up again. JMHO!

Nov 29, 2009
Sparky Guy, there was no "nonsense" going on during the lesson. Just a lack of what I would call success at the goals of the lesson. It wasn't a horrible lesson in my opinion, that is until she got fatigued. Then it all started to fall apart until the wheels fell off and the bus crashed.

Your DD was having a bad day. It happens. Trying to force a kid into a good day usually has an opposite outcome.

FR, is your daughter in pitching shape? You said she ran out of gas before the normal lesson time expired. Was she physically drained from swimming or some other activity before heading to the lesson? I've had kids show up who look physically exhausted at the start of the lesson because they were doing something before they arrived at the lesson. If that's not the case then how long do you have your daughter work when you're practicing? You may want to try to slowly increase the length of the practice sessions to increase her stamina.

Dec 9, 2011
FR you say she works 4-5 nights a week outside of lessons and she just turned 11. I would say maybe there is a focus thing going on and a burn out faze happening. I don't mean anything but 7 days in a week and she is working 5-6 days and just turned 11. Don't get me wrong they need to practice and work but at a young age you have to becareful. IMO 1 hr or even 45 min. to long for that age.

Apr 9, 2012
FR you say she works 4-5 nights a week outside of lessons and she just turned 11. I would say maybe there is a focus thing going on and a burn out faze happening. I don't mean anything but 7 days in a week and she is working 5-6 days and just turned 11. Don't get me wrong they need to practice and work but at a young age you have to becareful. IMO 1 hr or even 45 min. to long for that age.

I have learned the hard way that this ^^^ is critical advice.

I have found that 30 min quality workouts with my students and DD are extremely effective(high energy and focus) and keeps them wanting more-(drives the passion.) This is where the greatest gains happen.

Give her a break and make her beg to get back to a PC.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
My DW has been an elementary educator for a long time. She continues to tell me that you will only get about one minute of true focus for one year of age of the child.

While I think this may be a little low or it changes slightly as they get older, it appears to be very close to correct. My DD is 12 and we usually get about 15 minutes of real focus in a practice. Outside of that 15 minutes, she is working but may not always have that killer focus. We try to limit pitching practices to the 30 minute mark and also try to work on different things on different days. Our PC also uses 30 minutes lessons for the same reasons.

Dec 7, 2011

This ^^^^^^ is what got my DD a pars fracture in her back last winter/spring (5 days a week at an hour+ and on top of that lots of BP).

Every girls is an individual but BE CAREFUL!!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan