Fall ball vs school basketball - which comes first?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
This is our first year in a higher competitive travel team (played on a travel team for previous 2 years but a very low game schedule & NEVER Fall ball) so this is the first year I am dealing with the conflict of Fall softball & School basketball.

Is it a personal preference? Or does one take presidence over the other?

Thanks!

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
In general, school teams are going to expect their players to attend every practice and every game. They come first over everything.

But I'm sure there are exceptions. I'd ask the coaches very soon.

You probably should note the age of the TB team and whether this is middle school, 9th grade, JV or high school.

Jun 18, 2010
Illinois
In general, school teams are going to expect their players to attend every practice and every game. They come first over everything.

But I'm sure there are exceptions. I'd ask the coaches very soon.

You probably should note the age of the TB team and whether this is middle school, 9th grade, JV or high school.

Oops, yeah I guess I should.... Its 7th grade (Jr High).
I already talked to her softball coach - gave him the basketball game schedule & he is ok with everything. Her basketball practices have been before school (6:30 am) so no conflict until games start...... now the basketball coach has changed to after school practices - so by the time she gets out of basketball practice & we drive to her softball practice, she will only have 1 hr of practice every time.
I guess its better then nothing??? right? :) Just worried to disappoint the softball coaches, or the parents feel as though she is getting special treatment. (just my worry is all)

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
HS should take priority over TB. Good programs are competing for school titles ( win vs loss seasons / weekend tournaments / end of season playoffs ), they want their athletes to be 100% for these reasons. Lots of freshmen try to do both, after the first year they seem to make more of a choice between the two. Balancing both can be rough, and keep your grades up.

Every now in then in the fall, HS age, when they would have a weekend off from ( VB BB ) and get an itch we would throw the team together for a fastpitch tourney.

Around here almost every weekend has a HS based tournament ( somewhere ) for the fall sports. It may be different abroad.

Edit: I see DD is in 7th. It was easier to do TB in junior high as the schedule was half of what HS sports require. Still a challenge but not nearly as hectic as you will find out in HS.

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2010
Before DD accepted an offer to play for her new softball team I made the coach aware she played volleyball--8th grade. He was fine with it. We sometimes arrive half hour to 45 minutes late. He has her stay later and work on things. He just adjusted the practice schedule because some of the girls play volleyball and games were to be played same day as practice.

I'd just talk to both coaches about what is going on.

Aug 12, 2012
NorCal
For her senior English class my DD had to right a "Gap" essay last night. Things she missed because of circumstances. She wrote about missing school activities, parties for both friends and family, family vacations not revolving around TB, etc, etc, because of softball. This was her choice because she loves the game. HS activities and sports were always second to TB. I am not saying this is right or wrong only that it is. I am glad other athletes find time to compete in other HS sports but between private lessons, practices, her trainer and tournaments there did not seem to be enough time to do it all. My DD made a choice to have TB number one.

May 11, 2012
We try our best to split things to where our dd can attend both. This sometimes means missing 20-30 minutes of each practice to attend an hour to an hour and a half of both but I think thats a great compromise. However, if there needs to be a choice made( which does happen at times) we generally give the edge to whatever sport is in season. So right now if a choice "must" be made then soccer comes first. In mid Feb basketball will come first before soccer and softball. When March hits.........softball gets preference from then until August.

At the end of the day, I think as long as your showing your daughter to respect peoples time and that being responsible and not flaking is important...........you cant make a "wrong decision". I do know that at some point in the future my dd is going to choose that softball is more important than all the other sports( she actually already feels that way). At that point, I will let her coaches know of her involvement and if that means she cant be part of the team than so be it, but I would venture to say most times coaches are okay with it and just need communication lines to be open.( especially if your kid is a good athlete...haha)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I will let her coaches know of her involvement and if that means she cant be part of the team than so be it,

That is what I am used to. My kids' school coaches would have shown you the door. It was a large sports school and I often thought that we had better athletes sitting in the stands than most schools were able to field. It was sometimes funny to watch unknowing parents get the kid there late, etc. and be surprised when they weren't playing. Now, if the school hadn't had very good sports programs, maybe it would be a different story.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole