Facebook

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

A male teacher at the school had plenty of his students as friends on Facebook last year. This guy is single and young. He made some type of ugly remark on a students site and I believe that he got written up for it and had to delete all of his students from his "friends" list.

As a parent, I feel if my DDs coach wants to be her friend on Facebook, it's great. It would seem like he/she is taking a personal interest in her and, as Bishop stated, will know if something catastrophic has happened in her life (as well all know with girls, that happens rather frequently). I think it's great! :)

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
Coachtucc, Are you even on Facebook? Bishop has this correct.

If someone wants their page private, you can't view anything that is on it. In my family, we have kids from age 12 all the way up to my 71 yo sister, posting as friends.

A coach would be a moron to put anything suspicious on a public page. When my DD was under age 18, I made her keep hers public, so I was aware of what was being posted. We are on each other's friend list, now. But, many of her friends pages are private.

Five years ago, maybe, the girls were posting things that they shouldn't, but that hasn't been a problem for some time.

I am on Facebook but all I am trying to say is that it takes just one person to complain to cause trouble and I personally prefer talking to the girls in person!

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
I am friends with several of my teachers. One of them is the leader of a club that I am active in at school. Being friends with her is helpful for updates and pictures.

I could see where having a FB group would be useful... but aren't their social networking sites for sports? Are people as likely to check them as they are other websites?

Dec 19, 2009
It just takes one to cause any kind of issue and FB is no exception. I'm with Bishop, these girls aren't just players they are an extended part of my family. I have coached most of them since they were 5 and have watched them grow up. I think of about 80% of my players on FB. The only issue I have with it is I have to be careful what I post on my page and keep it clean.

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
Having the players and coaches on your page might be a good thing. I do think twice about some of the things I post before I do so because of the adults that I'm friends with. Some of the inside jokes that I have with friends probably won't be that funny to them. You've just got to be careful.

Jul 26, 2010
If you try to get a job, your potential employer will check your facebook (and any other social networking page). It's my belief that in teaching softball we're also teaching life skills, so, IMHO, it's best that the girls learn early on that ANYTHING they put on the internet will be there FOREVER in some way. (Same goes for posting on forums, btw ;)

Should a HS or TB coach preclude them from the team due to it? Probably not, but a college coach will, and certainly a potential employer.

-W

Oct 21, 2009
Facebook can be dangerous to athletes. A local HS football player was kicked off the football team due to a zero tolerance policy. It wasn't from a photo on his page but he was in the background of a picture on someone else's page and he was drinking a beer.

Dec 28, 2008
My involvement with softball as an instructor is to encourage and motivate the girls I work with. I LOVE Facebook because it lets me keep touch with current players and former players almost instantly. I get to read when they are fine, but I also get to read when they really need some encouragement and can offer it. I can commend them when they post that they've done well with their team. I can wish them happy birthday etc. It's a good communication method.

As was mentioned by Amy some of the girls are knuckleheads and post stuff that they shouldn't be. But there are also adults in corporate settings that I work with that say inappropriate things around the water coolers. Some people just don't have filters and the method of communication doesn't change that. It's just that Facebook makes the "foot in mouth disease" more viral.

College coaches I know do have their players check out prospective students Facebook pages if they are public, some even become friends to see other information. If a player is obviously a party animal or is constantly posting about mood swings from I'm "in a relationship" to "single" to "in a relationship" they can avoid the nonsense that would surround that player.

R

RayR

I use it as well to communicate with my players or post a team picture after a championship/runner up tourney. Although, I coach 18U so it may be different.

If anything - maybe some of the girls know I have access and are more conservative with their posts...

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I am on Facebook but all I am trying to say is that it takes just one person to complain to cause trouble and I personally prefer talking to the girls in person!

I agree. It only takes one. That one that wants to stir up trouble for someone is going get out the big spoon and go to work regardless of situation and context. It is what it is. I'll execute my responsibilities as a coach the best way I know how using all the tools I find useful. I find facebook to be a useful tool for me. Be it a facebook post, a poorly worded statement, body language or tone of voice that gets that 'one' person worked up and gunning for me, I'll have to rely on my organization's board, fellow coaches, parents and players to stand up in my defense. If those people aren't willing to defend me against the allegations and accusations of a trouble maker, then I probably shouldn't be coaching.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves