Varsity Awards

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
They have had those for a 100+ years..they are called varsity letters. It is just that nobody complained about them before because people didn't feel the need to blame all of society's woes on "wokeness"...Contrary to popular belief, giving a kid a trophy for taking part in an activity isn't going to turn them into an unproductive member of society. There are plenty of other things we do as a society which do a fine job at accomplishing that "goal"..
Thank you.

My favorite is the people who bitch about participation awards and then post pics
Of themselves showing off their 5k race medal.

I played little league starting in 1970 my brother is 7 years older than me. We both got trophies every year we played LL. So did every single kid in our league.

Jun 11, 2013
offensively you can come up with an objective criteria but defense if really hard. If you don't know who your best pitcher is you are either really good or really bad.

May 27, 2013
Our HS did as follows:

Gold Softball: Most Hits
Golden Glove: Best defense
Most Improved
Trophy for Softball Excellence - essentially the player who shows leadership, dedication to the team and the game

The above were decided by the coaches. We also had a Team award voted on by the players - typically the player they felt was the best teammate

Nov 18, 2015
Thank you.

My favorite is the people who bitch about participation awards and then post pics
Of themselves showing off their 5k race medal.

I played little league starting in 1970 my brother is 7 years older than me. We both got trophies every year we played LL. So did every single kid in our league.
I'll add another thank you, as the whole anti- "participation trophy" thing has been bugging me for years.

I was never good enough to make my HS baseball team. And I still have all my trophies from my LL seasons (collecting dust on a shelf in the garage). I think I started playing in 1st or 2nd grade. And NEVER did I (or my teammates) think I had "won" anything when coach handed them out after the last game. I have two that are bigger than the rest, and that's b/c my team did actually win first place.

Perhaps the issue arose from misusing the term "trophy" - those that are against giving anything out likely view a trophy in the traditional sense - a sign of victory. For myself, maybe a better term is "memento"? b/c that's what they were - "thanks for playing with us this, here's a shiny object with the year, division, and team name on it - hope it brings back good memories for you when you look at it on your shelf over the next few years."

Back on topic - I really like "Softball Excellence" - even without listing any criteria, the term itself seems to de-emphasize stats, and IMO, would be the award I'd give out last.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
We plan to give these to our top pitcher, top offensive and top defensive players.

Isn't a pitcher a defensive player?

Anyway, my daughter's team members vote on MVP, Top Offensive/Slugger, and Gold Glove. All conference nominations are left to the coaches. I understand how this can be a sticky wicket. But last year I had to explain to my daughter that she wouldn't make All Area or All State because she didn't even make All Conference! All the while we watched other kids living on their reputation make All State. Some play in weak conferences. Some pad their stats against weaker teams or start in double headers when most coaches empty the bench in order to get eveyone some playing time.

While watching some rival high school playoff games I had three different parents of opposing teams ask if I wanted to use their address to transfer my kid into their program. After being snubbed the thought definitely crossed my mind. But, that was pretty much all the confirmation I needed.

Jan 31, 2014
North Carolina
Not a big fan of players voting for awards. Too much risk for popularity votes. I'll take the heat for choices parents don't like.

We do: MVP, Best Offensive, Best Defensive, and Most Improved. We can add a "Coaches Award" if we think someone merits it. Play a minimum amount and you get a letter (or a bar for subsequent years).

I think the awards are important. Motivation to set goals and work hard. Recognize those whose work has produced the best results.

Jun 8, 2016
I think the awards are important. Motivation to set goals and work hard. Recognize those whose work has produced the best results.
Doing well on the field, or just not sucking in general, should be motivation enough.

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2015
We have a conference award for sportsmanship only. Then team awards for top JV player (stat based), golden glove (stat based), silver slugger (stat based), academic (GPA based), and a golden heart award that is voted on by the team after the final game.

Not really any judgement calls other than the sportsmanship award.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I should probably let this go. However, I'm not that smart. For the first two HS I coached at, there were strict criteria for earning a letter. They were not just handed out to whoever dressed for the varsity. As HC at the second school, I kept this in mind and made an effort to get lesser players into any blowout game to get them to the point that they met the criteria. The AD at both schools had the ability to allow us to letter a player if circumstances warranted it. For example, one young man on the baseball team I coached fell off his balcony when it collapsed. He was a part-time starter and would have easily earned that letter. Instead, he was still in a wheelchair when the season ended.

I'd throw in a bunch of angry emojis here for the last school I coached at but that would be classless. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: I tried to set up the awards like the other schools I coached at. I held a banquet to hand out the team awards. However, the AD wanted control over certain awards that would be handed out at an all-school sports banquet. IOWs MVP. When I got the program to review for that banquet, another player's name was presented. I went to the AD and asked what happened. While I never got an answer, I told him that I had named the MVP based upon several factors and if that player was chosen due to some influence other than what happened on the field, I would not be there to present that award. Here is a hint as to what happened -- :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nabbott