Facebook

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 15, 2009
is it ok for coaches to be checking on their player's facebooks or not? I think it is. Those girls represent the team and could make the team look bad.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
If the Facebook is public, it is open to anyone and everyone. Most kids have wised up and aren't putting stupid stuff on their Facebook, anymore. I am sort of surprised that it is still popular with the high school group. I am thinking that it is going to mostly the 35 and up group. My sister is on it all day long and she is 71.

Feb 9, 2009
speaking of Facebook, Amy, how did it go with the girl switching from baseball to softball pitching?

Jan 23, 2010
VA, USA
This is the start of a good thread, I believe. I don't care if my coaches snoop on my Facebook (I'm friends with my HS varsity coach). There's nothing bad up there, really. There are a few pictures of me in a bathing suit and pictures of me in dresses before we go out that aren't exactly school appropriate, but hey... my mother let me out of the house in them!

I won't friend any of the girls that I've coached, personally.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I have heard stories about college coaches looking at potential players facebook pages and deciding NOT to take them. Of course this could be false, but who knows. I think it gives coaches a look at how the player is acting outside of softball, and as we all know if your known to be on a certain team your actions speak for the whole organization.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
I've got all the girls I coach, and thier parents as friends on facebook, that have facebook pages. We all get updates on our phones and crackberries from facebook. It's another communication tool for us to use. My wife shares the pictures she takes at games through it. I use it to throw out pre-game/tourny encouragements and words of wisdom. And brag on my girls from time to time to a few hundered people who could care less but were dumb enough send me a friend request.

As a coach I have a small window into my players lives. I know when they break up with boyfriends. When they have spats with thier best friends. When they are having trouble with school or other things like that. Usually there is nothing there of any particular interest, but every once in a while I know exactly why one of my players is having 'an off day'. Knowing the situation sometimes helps in getting a performance out the player when it is needed.

coachtucc

Banned
May 7, 2008
A, A
yeah but coaches have been fired for doing that...Facebook is public but i really don't need to read about what the girls are doing...you might read something you don't want to know...I always ask my ladies how they are and I can usally tell if something is bothering them...be careful with facebook..it tgakes just one parent to complain that you are invading privacy of the girls and see ya...believe me you...I have seen it happen!!

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Dunno Tucc,

I spend 10 months out of every year spending a couple hours 3 or more times a week with them and the parents. I spend my entire summer traveling and being with them all weekend every weekend at tournaments. I spend more time with them than I do most of my blood relatives. I don't see a problem with interacting with people I spend that much time with on a personal level. I guess if it ever jumps up and bites me in the butt I'll have to post here and eat some crow.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
Coachtucc, Are you even on Facebook? Bishop has this correct.

If someone wants their page private, you can't view anything that is on it. In my family, we have kids from age 12 all the way up to my 71 yo sister, posting as friends.

A coach would be a moron to put anything suspicious on a public page. When my DD was under age 18, I made her keep hers public, so I was aware of what was being posted. We are on each other's friend list, now. But, many of her friends pages are private.

Five years ago, maybe, the girls were posting things that they shouldn't, but that hasn't been a problem for some time.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gmc7283