Exploding Bat

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 3, 2009
A good lesson to learn I suppose... see alot of girls hitting dimple balls with their prized composites too. We have a $30 bat for dimples, and cold weather. It's a cheap insurance policy.

Feb 16, 2009
My dd's HS games start Tuesday. It is supposed to be a high of 35 (42 by Wednesday's game)! If she can't use her composite bat cuz it's too cold and we can't use her Rocketech (cuz it's too cold/could dent) what the heck should she use :)

(PS - did I mention dd's dream college choices are all south!)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
We're in the same boat here, DD's teams has been outside this week and temp hasn't broken 40. The RT will fare better than the composite, but both warrantees would be invalidated if damaged. DD has an older, same sized RT for BP and cold weather - got it used for about $75 so if it breaks/dents its not a disaster.

Jun 13, 2010
Remember I only Think it was a Demarini because I could see what looked like a large D on the barrel. Guess it dosent matter considering the temp.
I had a coach tell me that there are some old school all metal bats that are the best bet for the cold early season. I guess they are pretty inexpensive as well.

Anyone ever use those bats with a wood barrel and a metal handle? They might be good for cold weather though Ive never had any "hands on" with them.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Anderson's Techzilla is a tank, even more so than the RT, but at <40 degrees there are no guarantees even w/ these double-walled metals. (Did I mention earlier that DD also has a used TZ too)

May 7, 2008
Tucson
My DD played all of her HS career, in Flagstaff, AZ. The elevation is 7000 feet. 40 degrees was normal for us. She used an '05 RT, a green Rawlings Liquid Plasma, and a Demarini EVO. All were tanks, nothing -12 for her. We had no bat problems.

That said, if it was very important that she not damage the bat, I would use an old Easton 777. I buy them whenever, I see them.

Or, go to Play It Again Sports and see what they have. $80.00 bats show up all the time here SBF. Look under softball.

Apr 1, 2010
I bought DD an old Easton 777 on eBay for about $12 with shipping. She hits well with it and yes, it absolutely is a cheap insurance policy. I'm going to keep my eyes open for others.

There's supposed to be a high of 38 degrees here Saturday and Sunday. Our scrimmages on Saturday have been cancelled, but we'll be out at the fields at 8:30 am Sunday morning for a tournament. Brrrrrrr.

Jul 26, 2010
Rip it Force (balanced) or Reaper (end loaded), same basic construction as Anderson but a bit thicker. My daughter is a slapper and uses a -11, so I picked her up a Dimarini cat osterman for $50 that's the same weight and balanced the same as her composite. She uses that in the cage and on cold days, works fine.

-W

Sep 16, 2009
I have been coaching in the northwest for the past 6 years and we play almost the entire months of march/april and some of may with temps well below 60. Heck, even the early games june/july are in the 40s/50s. I have never seen a bat break and almost everyone is using composites. ( CF4, Combat, Easton, LS, you name it ) Sure they may not perform as well as when it's sunny and 80, but a bat explosion or even a crack is not something I've seen. I've seen end caps break LOTS but that's usually due to a hitter trying to pull an outside pitch ;)

May 22, 2011
USe the Rocketech they are almost indestructable. 4 years of tournaments highschool ball and cages out of our Rocketech before the endcap broke. I told them exactly what the bat had been through Anderson took care of it. I have nothing but priase for their customer service. Demarini on the other hand has been all but useless in standing behind bats for our highschool team that didn't make it through two seasons. The bat sat dormant fo the whole summer. They had a total of 5 months use including the tournament. Both broke in the same spot of the handle of their rails system. We were told sorry...our school now uses Easton and the older Andersons that are still going strong.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TaraLynn0207