Explicit Walk Up Music

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 22, 2011
I do think the umpire has a say over this stuff. It's their field, they're in charge. If they don't want drumsticks, then tell us and we won't use them. If they don't wanting banging on buckets, just tell us and we'll stop.

Artificial noise makers are not allowed in NCAA softball, USA softball, and I can't find a NFHS rule, but some state associations ban artificial noise makers. Doing a quick google search in California it appears to vary by section.

For USA Softball it is rule supplement 49, sporting behavior. For NCAA softball:

As far as walk-up music, I had a coach shocked I called a strike on his batter when his batter did not leave the on-deck circle and get into the batter's box after the 3rd time I called out "batter up". I had warned him the inning before after it took his batter more than 30 seconds to hear me and get into the batter's box. His excuse was his batter couldn't hear me because of the in-between inning music his team was playing.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
I don't see how this is in any way under the purview of an umpire. 5-10 seconds isn't enough time to be delaying the game. Let the parents deal with what type of music their kids listen to.

99% of the time I will agree with you @CoachJD . The fans are generally going to be the problem of the site administrator. The umpire does not control anything outside the fences and dugouts. While I hear plenty that I raise an eyebrow to, I would direct you to the TD or site administrator.

My exceptions to that and the only times I have ever stepped in:
  • The music is impeding on the game (e.g., being played too long or during live balls).
  • Dueling DJs ... we aren't blaring from both dugouts at the same time. I'm not picking who wins -- everybody gets shut down. (Only had to go that far one time.) IMO, this becomes a sportsmanship issue.
  • Inflammatory lyrics ... falls under sportsmanship as it will bleed onto the field.
  • Music is coming from the dugout -- then that is my turf.

I admit I do enjoy the walk up as long as it is done properly. And the speaker is not right behind me trying to blow my hat off.

May 29, 2015
I like the player announcements and the walk-up songs. Like being at an MLB game, it makes it more interesting and enjoyable (to me). I also like songs between innings. So do the girls on our team.

I do think the umpire has a say over this stuff. It's their field, they're in charge. If they don't want drumsticks, then tell us and we won't use them. If they don't wanting banging on buckets, just tell us and we'll stop.

I'll agree with you on the walk up songs, but ...

I'll tell you now and save you a headache coach ... Don't. Just stop it before it starts, as it is illegal (see @Dabears17 post above). I do have a say so because that is coming from your dugout and it is expressly outlawed in the rule book. Just 'cause NCAA (or MLB) lets them do some of that on TV doesn't mean it is legal. When you make it to TV, you can be more concerned about making good TV than following the rules.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
New umpire here. Question for umpires and coaches. I was base ump at a U14 tournament yesterday. One team was playing batter introduction walk up music (perhaps 5-10 seconds long.) As one batter was walking up to the plate her music came on and it was very explicit (I’m no choir boy) enough to generate a collective gasp among the parents I was standing by. The music was immediately stopped but allowed to continue for the remainder of the game. My question is what would you have done? If I were the plate umpire I would have at the very least ended the walk up music for the remainder of the game. As a brand new base ump with a veteran behind the plate I let him handle it. He had a brief comment to the coach from afar. In hindsight after they’re at bat I should have at least asked him his thoughts and what he said to the coach. Thanks.

To the OP ... welcome to the ranks!

We've covered it pretty well, but I wanted to acknowledge your post and the perspective of a new umpire. ALWAYS ask your partner, especially on weird things like this, because it is one of the best ways to learn. Admittedly, you may not always learn properly, but even if they give you bad information it will hopefully be the impetus to remind you to go look it up after the game.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
99% of the time I will agree with you @CoachJD . The fans are generally going to be the problem of the site administrator. The umpire does not control anything outside the fences and dugouts. While I hear plenty that I raise an eyebrow to, I would direct you to the TD or site administrator.

• The music is impeding on the game (e.g., being played too long or during live balls).
  • Dueling DJs ... we aren't blaring from both dugouts at the same time. I'm not picking who wins -- everybody gets shut down. (Only had to go that far one time.) IMO, this becomes a sportsmanship issue.
  • Inflammatory lyrics ... falls under sportsmanship as it will bleed onto the field.

I admit I do enjoy the walk up as long as it is done properly. And the speaker is not right behind me trying to blow my hat off.

With you on points 1, 2, and 4, but not 3. Players/coaches using bad language might fall under sportsmanship (I'd argue that's only the case in certain circumstances, and the rules set probably matters). A song using it really does not. I'd also argue that "inflammatory lyrics" is far too subjective. In fact, I'm betting most people here would have a completely different view of which songs should/should not be played than I do. No, I'm not telling you all what songs those are.

May 27, 2022
I like the player announcements and the walk-up songs. Like being at an MLB game, it makes it more interesting and enjoyable (to me). I also like songs between innings. So do the girls on our team.

So, if I enjoy the between inning music, is it wrong for me to dance along with it? (the right answer is "yes" based on my dancing skills)

Personally, I think the walkup music and voice over intro are tacky and I usually only see it a "C" levels. IMO, if you kid or their team is more worried about their walkup song than their hitting or fielding ability, you might be in it for the wrong reason.

My daughters college walk up list:
- "Jesus Freak", DC Talk
- "Juicy Wiggle", Redfoo
- "A Little Less Conversation", Mac Davis / Billy Strange

Oct 4, 2018
I'll agree with you on the walk up songs, but ...

I'll tell you now and save you a headache coach ... Don't. Just stop it before it starts, as it is illegal (see @Dabears17 post above). I do have a say so because that is coming from your dugout and it is expressly outlawed in the rule book. Just 'cause NCAA (or MLB) lets them do some of that on TV doesn't mean it is legal. When you make it to TV, you can be more concerned about making good TV than following the rules.

I'm not a coach. I'm not part of any of this. :)

Our girls love drumsticks. They'll use them until told not to, and they'll quickly put them away when told. If it's not against the rules and umpire is cool with it, we'll do it. *shrug*

Like I said, I have nothing to do with it. I don't even notice really.

Oct 4, 2018
Personally, I think the walkup music and voice over intro are tacky and I usually only see it a "C" levels. IMO, if you kid or their team is more worried about their walkup song than their hitting or fielding ability, you might be in it for the wrong reason.

I'll report back to you from the Colorado Sparkler in a few weeks. You now have me curious.

We see walk-up music and player announcements quite often in A ball. We are on the younger side, though.

GIMNEPIWO

GIMNEPIWO
Dec 9, 2017
VA
In Virginia (VHSL) high school softball (NFHS), there is no walk up music and no music allowed at all except during the half inning or inning ... I like the rule ... At one school we competed against they had two loud speakers, both facing above the visitors dugout and would blast their walk up music making it impossible for the coaches to communicate with their athletes.

Aside from that, I screened any music my athletes wanted to play during dead ball periods to make sure it was appropriate ... One time an athlete asked me if we could use her mothers playlist saying it was PG ... It was not, my bad ... Everything gets screened now and if I don't have the time it doesn't get played. Including something like Christian Rock since our school system has a policy against coaches participating in school prayer etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MooreAH06