Ever have those days...

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

When you wonder how DD is so hard headed and you wonder why you even bother?

Then remember that she is only 14? (or insert your DD's age)

Yes, this came out of a softball related discussion with her that involved the drop step and footwork (or lack thereof sometimes).

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Are you her coach? I have found that if I "needed" to say something to my DD, then it probably wasn't the right time. Now, if we are talking after the game, I will ask her questions about her play, and usually she knows what she did or didn't do. Sometimes she doesn't and I ask if she wants my opinion. Makes things a lot better now

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
Yep, we have those days regularly. DD is 16 and knows it all. Thank God she is only a jerk away from the fields and practices.

I am learning to not say anything. I am not her coach, I am only the catcher for individual practices.

Jun 26, 2010
One of the hardest things I've ever done is coach my DD. This has been my first year and may be my last.

Are you her coach? I have found that if I "needed" to say something to my DD, then it probably wasn't the right time. Now, if we are talking after the game, I will ask her questions about her play, and usually she knows what she did or didn't do. Sometimes she doesn't and I ask if she wants my opinion. Makes things a lot better now

Stopped coaching her awhile back, but still offer my opinion when asked. However, my opinion is not wanted once it has left my mouth.

Apr 13, 2011
Maine
I have to agree with Screwball. My daughter is in her 2nd year of 8u rec league play. After last season she wanted to learn how to pitch, so we've been working on it. She practices with regular 11" softballs or the safety balls that are similar to a real softball in feel and weight. In our 8u league they play with safety balls, and at our last game she got the chance to pitch, but did horrible. When we were driving home she told me that she was upset at how she pitched because she knew that she could pitch better than that. I asked her if she was nervous and if maybe that had an impact, and she said she was a little, but that that wasn't the problem. I waited and then she followed with "the problem was the ball." It's the home teams responsibility to provide the game balls, and the other team uses Easton Incrediballs, which is very different than a real ball or real-like safety ball. She has since incorporated an Incrediball in to some of her pitching practice. She isn't worried much about it because she knows next year is 10u and real softballs, but her team has four games left and she wants to have a better feel for it in case she has to use one again. They start knowing very young, and I try to not be the one to tell her anything. They learn better when it comes from within.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
Albert Einstein
Some times a player needs a little help.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01