Ever ask your player to get out on purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
And that is a problem, too. The girls get used to pitching 3 - 4 innings and then, they can't go 7.[/quote[

For the younger ones I agree it's a problem. We have state pitchers who pitch 3-4 innings a week and then go to nationals and it's expected for them to pitch at least one seven inning game a day. These girls aren't coping.

But that's a whole other topic on the small amount of games played over here.

Jim

Apr 24, 2011
Ohio
Finish the inning sounds to be the best solution. Time restraints are somewhat understood in tournament play but I must say they totally go against the beauty of the game.

This is a game of execution, not time management.

Oct 25, 2009
They do it in showcases so the college coaches will know when games start.

I can understand time limits in rec ball. I understand, and do not care about, time limits in showcases. They even choreograph games in some showcases by putting a player wherever they want to see how players respond. Over and over one hears that winning in showcases isn't important. If that's true, then all out competitive effort will not be present either.

I do not understand time limits/inning limits in true TB competition. It degrades the competition. Whether admitted or not.

Feb 9, 2009
Personally, I think managing the clock is part of the game.

HOWEVER....
If you ask if what you did was right or not, then you probably have issues with your own behavior..,

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Personally, I think managing the clock is part of the game.

HOWEVER....
If you ask if what you did was right or not, then you probably have issues with your own behavior..,

Stephanie, that is correct, I was not 100% comfortable with my decision (hence starting this thread) to ask players to purposely make outs on themselves. However, if the tournament places time constraints on the game, then its a necessary consequence that as a coach he/she uses the local tournament rules to their team's advantage.

The bottom line is that if I am faced with a similar situation I will probably do the same thing over again. However, if a new inning is started, IMO it should be completed until the end and the score should never revert back to the previous inning.

Oct 25, 2009
How do you really manage the clock when there are no time outs? That's not managing the clock. If you want to manage a clock play basketball. It may be cooler in the gym; or warmer in Feb.

If you don't have time to play 7 innings, play 4 innings. Manipulate the time between games rather than the game time.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
In our indoor winter league, the games are all on the clock. so at the coin toss you select to be away to ensure at-bats.
As time runs out, a close game depends on time management. Pitchers taking their time (legally), batters swinging for the first pitch, baserunners stretching singles into triples because the other team isn't expecting it so their throws and reactions tend to be off. these are not tournament games, they are strictly on the clock and it adds a new dimension (sometimes frustrating) to the game. We had a pitcher blow a game after time was up. she just had to finish the one batter and the game was over. if she walked the batter we would've won, but instaed she threw a strike that the batter hit and scored the runners on base. good time management up to that point. but it happens. an exciting game.

Why do Daddies insist upon taking the game away from the kids for the greater glory of winning a game?
It sounds to me like a place where a smart coach helped his whole team.

Last edited:
Feb 15, 2011
FL
I believe you did exactly what was needed to win the game. I also do not believe you need to feel guilty about playing smart softball. I too would like to stand on my soapbox and scream at the top of my lungs to throw away the clock. This is not football, basketball or even the 90 minute plus whatever-the-ref-decides-to-add-at-the-end-of-the-second-period-so-we-have-no-idea-how-much-more-time-we-have soccer. I believe I read somewhere on this site that the idea of the clock was to help keep the game from being too boring. I can only say that this, being a derivative of baseball DESERVES to be played to a set number of innings. Seven would be the best, but get rid of the clock and teach the girls to play the way they will need to play in HS and/or college. Not enough fields or facilities, then don't host a tournament.

Mar 9, 2011
OP:

You feel bad / question your tactics because of this:

ASA Rule 5.4.E: A forfeited game shall be declared by the umpire in favor of the team not at fault in the following cases: E. If a team employs tactics noticeably designed to delay or to hasten the game.

But you felt the need to do that because of an artificial time limit on the game. If the game were played according to 5.3.A; "A regulation game shall consist of seven innings." then your tactics would not have been necessary as you would have to play out the game.

Stepping off early, swinging before the ball gets to the plate (should not be called a strike unless the ball was in the zone anyway!) would be the more "noticeable" tactics when you are on offense and could get you into trouble with a sharp umpire.

I would like to know where there are TB tournys that the games are all inning limited. All we have around here are all time limited except the championship games. Although the USSSA state one here (Georgia, 10&U B) had a time limit even on the championship game, and the IF "game" was a shootout!

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WYOwiseguy