Ever ask your player to get out on purpose?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
vYou did a disservice to the game. You are trying to have the girls play as much softball as possible, so you cheated them out of an inning. Didn't you take the game away from the kids so you brag about winning? Wouldn't it have been possible that you would have won the game anyway?

Why do Daddies insist upon taking the game away from the kids for the greater glory of winning a game?

Sorry Ray I really disagree with you on this one. He might have cost them an innings this game, but he potentially can get two or three extra games for them by doing this, then yes he should go for it.

Does it drive the opposition crazy? Yes. Does it drive ME crazy when it's done to me? Yes. There are also ways around it. I've gone and stood in the box when I was first batter and a team was doing a huddle when it was drop dead. Got three balls given to me before the team could get on. I've also signaled to the umpire I'm ready and been standing on the plate. I got a strike out of that one.

When it's timed games, you change your strategy.

Nov 29, 2009
I prefer the finish the inning rule.

What don't you understand about it???? If you're the home team with the winning run on 3rd and the 1:15 time expires you finish the inning. Once the inning is finished a new one can not start, the game is over.

Now if you're home team trailing by 6 runs and you have bases loaded with no outs as time expires at 1:15 you now have 15 minutes before the game drops dead at 1:30.

It's the best of both worlds. You don't have to worry about clock management as the time limit approaches. You get fair warning when you have to watch the clock, which is rare in most cases. It stops a lot of the stalling none sense.

May 25, 2010
You did a disservice to the game. You are trying to have the girls play as much softball as possible, so you cheated them out of an inning. Didn't you take the game away from the kids so you brag about winning? Wouldn't it have been possible that you would have won the game anyway?

Why do Daddies insist upon taking the game away from the kids for the greater glory of winning a game?

How was the game taken away from his players? Cheated out of an inning? Even if they got to play another whole game as a result of winning that one?

When a clock is part of the game, it should be treated as such. Should there be a 'dead ball' call if a batted ball strikes the base ump? Or is the umpire part of the field? Just as in other sports that have clocks all the time, time management is part of the game when clocks are used in softball.

May 18, 2009
Great decision on your part. I've been in games where our team goes up but the game reverts back to the previous inning and we lose. Hate that rule. Once an inning starts the game should continue until it is done.

Oct 25, 2009
In recent tournament, in pool play we played under "modified drop dead" rules where after 1.30 hours if we didn't complete the last inning within regulation, the score would revert back to the previous inning.

Situation: in previous inning, we are the visiting team down 7-3. In the top half of the last inning we tie the score 7-7. Because of tie-breaker rules, a tie by us (or even a loss by 3 runs or less) means #1 seed for us going into Sunday elimination round and a much easier road to get to the championship game.

With about 8 mins left in the game, I ask my baserunner on 1st to purposely leave early, for the second out of the inning. With the count 2 - 2 on my batter, I ask her to swing early to get out and she swings before the ball is even half way to homeplate. Strike 3, and 3 outs.

Bottom half of the inning, my pitcher quickly strikes out the first two batters and the third batter pops up to third base. Inning over. I ask umpire how much time left in the game and he says 2 mins! Inning is complete and official. Before we get our next at-bats, game is called and the score is tied. Even though we tied, we "won" the #1 seed. By the way, we ended up winning the tournament and having the top seed was important for the win. Needless to say, opposing coach was not happy.

Is this good clock management or did I do a disservice to the game? By the way, I apologized to my two players that I made them purposely make outs but they (and their parents) understood our strategy once they realized the implications of the time expiring.

Curious your thoughts on this and if you have every used the clock to your advantage?

So, I guess the opposing coach blew it. He should have used delay tactics, like subbing batters, going over signs, tucking in shirt tails, etc. Poor clock management I guess.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have never liked timed games. In fact, I couldn't figure out what people were talking about, when I came back to softball after coaching baseball with my boys.

So, I was told that they are money makers for the person holding the tournament. The more games played, the more money made.

I don't really see how it effects the amount of money made. Why do men want girls to play 6 one hour and 15 minutes games, in a weekend? I would rather play 4 seven inning games, or even 5 five inning games.

I hate made up rules for softball. That is why I go mostly to HS and college games. The game is supposed to be 7 innings.

So, that is my rant. I have a sore throat, so it is a good thing that I am not yelling.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
Games are timed in Rec. League too. We need the fields for all the Teams to be able to play their games.

The better Teams do not run into the time limit, the worse teams do. And the younger Teams.

I have only seen the clock being manipulated on purpose a couple times, not Rec. Teams on want to be on the field with anyways.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Let's make sure everyone understands what happened:

(1) There were two good teams playing a game.
(2) There was something at stake--i.e., winning the pool
(3) The score was tied in the late innings.

These are the games that you pray for as a coach and a player. Most of the time, the game is over in the 2nd inning.

You *WANT* your players to be put in pressure situations to see how they perform. This isn't about simply a game, it is about testing the fabric of these players. Who is going to fold? Who is going to deliver? Which team is better?

The kids were cheated. They should be allowed to win or lose on their own. This didn't help the kids.

Last edited:
May 7, 2008
Tucson
We have so many diamonds here, that scheduling isn't a problem. The school diamonds sit empty and the 2 diamonds that I practice at, never have anyone on them.

So, just play 5 complete innings. Take the clock out of the game. It is awfully hard to get all of the girls significant playing time, when you are only on defense, about 35 minutes.

Mar 13, 2010
We've always played an hour and a half here, but the inning has to finish. It's only when it comes to grand finals that it plays a full seven digs. I love it, because I have no issues pitching seven digs, but most other pitchers struggle.

Even this year, we had the best grand final in my grade (we were down the entire game, went up bottom sixth) but the association head started hassling the umpires because it went over two hours. She finally walked away after someone yelled at her very nasty words.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish