Estimated probability of playing college sports.....

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
Of these High School participants it would be interesting how many actually desired/attempted to be recruited. I would venture that the vast majority of HS participants have no serious plans to play college ball.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
Not sure how accurate that is.

For HS participation, does that include clubs as well as HS teams? I know when they do the stats for rowing, they include that.

For example, the HS my kids go to has a rather pathetic boy's ice hockey team, and no girls' team, even though ice hockey is pretty popular around here. So the girls play in clubs. One of the star players for Wisconsin, went to that HS. Her dad, a former NHL all-star and 1980 gold medalist (yes, THAT Olympics) is her coach. He also attended the same HS, and played for Wisconsin. Grandfather was the men's hockey coach when the girl's father played at Wisconsin.

Rowing gets really weird.
Men's rowing teams are rare, but so are HS clubs. There are about as many men's rowers in college as there are in HS. However, many of the boys' rowers DS knew in HS no longer row, and a lot of the rowers on his college team didn't row until college.

For women, rowing is an NCAA sport, to help make up for football. NOT an NCAA sport for men. So, there are about 7 college rowers for every HS rower. So, the girls who were great athletes but not D1 caliber in their HS sport often take up rowing. I think the Wisconsin women's team has more HS softball players than the Wisconsin softball team. When I see the ladies running before getting in the water on Saturday morning practices, I see a LOT of softball tournament t-shirts. At one point I thought all the girls were from Colorado until I learned from DFP that many big tournaments are in Colorado.

To be fair, one lady on the Wisconsin rowing team was all-conference in softball, but was one of the best female rowers in the country in HS, so she is on a rowing scholarship. The other softball players are walk-ons.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
Makes sense to me. I've seen some girls on HS Varsity teams that would be cut from many C level teams let alone B, A or Showcase

Nov 18, 2013
I’ve seen this going around on Facebook as well. It makes it appear as if it’s a long shot to participate in college athletics, but I don’t think that’s the case. I believe there’s a place for every athlete that has the desire and is willing to put forth the effort. It may not be in the location or level they want, but if athletics are the driving factor, there’s a place somewhere that will want them.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I’ve seen this going around on Facebook as well. It makes it appear as if it’s a long shot to participate in college athletics, but I don’t think that’s the case. I believe there’s a place for every athlete that has the desire and is willing to put forth the effort. It may not be in the location or level they want, but if athletics are the driving factor, there’s a place somewhere that will want them.

If you can chew gum and play ball, somewhere there is a spot for you.

Nov 18, 2013
Makes sense to me. I've seen some girls on HS Varsity teams that would be cut from many C level teams let alone B, A or Showcase

Agree. It would make a better representation to look at kids participating on travel/club rather than looking at HS participants, many of whom have no desire or aren’t putting in the preparation to play in college.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I wonder how the attrition rate has to do with this.

For example, how many girls playing softball as a HS freshman make to to senior year, how many make it to college ball, how many are still playing their senior year.

Also, this doesn't seem to include NAIA and Juco. The numbers would be higher.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaci’s biggest fan