Errors

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 10, 2011
We just got the end of the season report and I was wondering how do you correctly judge how your daughter is doing based on the number of errors per inning/games played? Thanks!

Jun 24, 2013
IDK, it has to be by position

Different positions are going to have a lot more opportunities than others so probably more errors.

My guess is DD makes an error about once every 20 games so I have never been hung up on the number of errors, I take her number as being she might not be extending herself on the field.

In MLB the last few years some really good defensive SSs have come into the league. I will take any of them and their errors over an OF that can move 2 feet and has 1 error all year.

Last edited:
Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I agree w/ JS. The girl with the most errors per inning might be your best defensive player because she plays shortstop, where the opportunity to make errors is 10 times what it is in RF. Fielding PCT also is of little value. It's very hard to statistically evaluate defensive players even in MLB, and especially in youth softball.

Oct 10, 2011
Thanks guys, I guess I won't concern myself with it then...I wouldn't have considered some of them errors anyway LOL:)

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
JM2C, but if you've watched a player play for some time, you shouldn't need fielding stats to know what they need to work on to improve defensively.

Oct 10, 2011
JM2C, but if you've watched a player play for some time, you shouldn't need fielding stats to know what they need to work on to improve defensively.

I was a bit concerned at first when I saw the number, but I looked again, I found out that close to half of them happened in the last 5 games of the season...and she had been very sick:( I'm good now!

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
I just use FLD %... then it takes into account how many attempts. Say your SS leads the team in number of errors, but her fielding % is .950 would you even say anything?

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Fielding PCT is better than errors/game, but it's still largely dependent on the positions that you play. Shortstops and third basemen can be expected to have lower fielding percentages than first basemen and outfielders.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd