equipment cost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 31, 2010
I was wondering why it is neccesary to replace gear every 12 months? Surely if you're paying upwards of $200 for gloves etc. they would last longer than that? My gloves (i have 3) cost $90 (infield) $75 (1st) and $65 (outfield) respectively, and I have had each for well over five years, using them all year round and only the infield glove is showing any signs of age. I paid $90 for my shoes 12months ago and they are fine apart from a little dirt (granted i dont pitch). I'm wondering how parents can justify spending $300 for a bat evey 12 months, when there is little wrong with the previous one...

I know I don't plan on replacing my DD's stuff till she outgrows it or it's broken. I don't have that kind of money to spend. If she outgrows it and there is life left in her stuff I'm going to sell it to help towards the expense of new stuff. That is the only reason she is getting the $200 bat, I sold some of her old stuff and got about $100 towards the bat.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
what do you consider a reasonable amount of money to spend on a:
Glove
Catchers Mitt
Bat
Cleats
Batting gloves
Bag?

I asked the question so I guess I should answer it too. This is what we have spent. Since I asked whats reasonable, I would pay twice as much as I have paid, if I found better quality.

Glove $60. going on its 3rd season
Catchers Mitt $60,
Bat Haven't bought one in 4 years, she uses the team bats. The organization usually buys 2 or 3 each year per team. But I think $175 is reasonable if it will last a couple of seasons.
Cleats $65
Batting gloves $20 a pair. I look every time I am in a sports store for sales on these as they do wear out
Bag? The last bag she used was my old one, her current bag came with a set of catchers gear we bought her.

Our organization is fairly bare bones, we re-use uniforms year to year. No one is given a bat bag, We don't travel very far for tourneys. Our girls play in a fastpitch federation where there are dozens of teams (in all age groups) that have formed leagues so we play other travel teams during the week, then go to a few tourneys on the weekends. Each team has an equipment budget for the year, and a training budget to offset batting cage time and gym rental.

What surprises me, is not what other people pay for ball. Its how many people want to pay more. We hold monthly meetings and the early winter ones we all try to figure out how to make it as inexpensive as possible for our players. All but a very few of the girls will go to our local High School and the goal of our organization is to prepare them for Varsity. Invariably a new family into the group will question why we charge what we charge, when they pay X amount for their boys hockey or soccer or baseball team. Instead of asking how can they lower those costs they want to know why we don't charge that much. Its almost like the outrageous money is a badge of honor for some people.

This year each family was required to put up a commitment fee. $100 if you had one girl and $50 for each additional daughters playing. Then you participate in 2 fundraiser shifts which only require your time, about 6-8 hours total. For every extra shift you get back $50 of your commitment free. Many girls will be playing for free this year.

Granted we are not playing in National tournaments.

Money is relative to everyone. What is a lot to one person is walking around money to others. I must say I am surprised at the idea that if you are not willing to spend what equals a half a years worth of college tuition on a year of softball, that you should reconsider softball for your DD.

I have seen a couple of posts that talk about "returns" on this investment. Except for a very select few, the returns won't equal what you outlay. College teams only have so many scholarships to go around, much less then the number of girls they roster. Most girls get a fraction of a scholarship. And if its an out of state school, that fraction is on out of state resident tuition.

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Sparky, you're pretty close but I think on the low end. We are in Northern CA and the team will be chasing a national title. Only 2 local tournaments, 1 week in Colorado and the rest in Southern CA (1 for a week). No travel expenses are paid. Uniform, helmet and bag are included, all other equipment is paid for by us as well as all training expenses. There is no guarantee on investment return.

Someone said that softball is a rich girls sport. It doesn't need to be! Our girls play at all different levels, from little league/rec. ball all the way up to Gold. The cost per season is anywhere between $200 per season up to $10,000 per season.

I am not complaining. DD wants to play softball in college and I am prepared to do what it takes to give her the best opportunity to do that. If it doesn't happen, that's OK. It's a heck of a lot of fun for DD and for me.

awesome! and you can't put a price tag on that time the 2 of you spend together.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Lozza, we give our old stuff to an organization for Inner City Youth and Baseball run by Major League Baseball. However, these past few pieces of equipment are almost beyond use. For example, my dd's 12" glove has been used so much that the leather in the finger holes where the laces are at the top of the glove are tearing out. That glove will not be able to be used again. Her cleats are absolutely worn out. She plays year round and so, I don't even know how many games practices etc. her equipment has been through. Believe me, we aren't frivioulous people. She doesn't get new stuff until she has to have it. My dd knows that we will provide the best equipment IF she works hard to earn it. I don't think anyone wants to make you feel bad. I certainly don't!

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Reading the trend of this thread, I won't apologize for getting my daughter the top of the line stuff. Her team cost $1,450. It includes year round training with strength and speed coaches, practices 3 days a week, another practice that is voluntary etc. They bring in college coaches for mini clinics, make recruitment videos, and do make contacts with any coach you want interested in your child. They play a Gold schedule all summer long and play friendlies against the top teams in our area, the rest of the state and from the state of Missouri.

I have been a coach for everyone else's kids most of my life. I have one child. I'll spend on her what I want to spend as long as she continues to work hard. She will get to play in college and so, for us, our investment has paid off.

Jul 30, 2010
Pennsylvania
Reading the trend of this thread, I won't apologize for getting my daughter the top of the line stuff. Her team cost $1,450. It includes year round training with strength and speed coaches, practices 3 days a week, another practice that is voluntary etc. They bring in college coaches for mini clinics, make recruitment videos, and do make contacts with any coach you want interested in your child. They play a Gold schedule all summer long and play friendlies against the top teams in our area, the rest of the state and from the state of Missouri.

I have been a coach for everyone else's kids most of my life. I have one child. I'll spend on her what I want to spend as long as she continues to work hard. She will get to play in college and so, for us, our investment has paid off.

and you shouldn't have to apoligize, you're doing nothing wrong. You are doing what is best for you and your family. My wife and i too buy top of the line equipment for our dd. She works hard and takes care of the things we buy her.

Feb 26, 2010
Crazyville IL
Exactly what PACoach said.

Admittedly I was baiting Lozza a bit which is probably why she didn't answer. Can't blame her, I'm no where near as sneaky as I think I am after midnight. :D

The point I was trying to lead up to was, Who is anyone to judge how anyone else spends thier money? I know there are people that think I'm crazy for spending what I consider a modest amount for my DD to play summer travel ball. I know I think the people dropping 10K a year to play Gold ball are a little nuts. Of course IF I had that kind of money to spend on softball and IF my DD had that kind of opportunity in front of her...well, I'm not saying I wouldn't do it.

It's my money. I earned it. I'll spend mine exactly as I choose. As will everyone else. I don't thing there is a reason for anyone to get thier hackles up over how someone else spends thier money. [hypocracy]If you want to get worked up over something you should see the booze and cigarette budgets of some of my parents and fellow coaches. Now that's a huge waste of money. [/hypocracy] :D

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
dd = dollar drainer. I know we have at least $1,500 in her bag. If you are serious and play late on Sunday you will find you need more than you think. Example 2 pair of shoes. It rains and do you play in wet shoes? She has 3 bats. 33-23 , for most games. A 32-22 for those that actually throw a 60 MPH pitch. Rare, and a practice bat 33-23 or her cold weather Rip It when it is below 50 outside. 2 mits, rip it mask, two sliders. I lost count of batting gloves and other female items. Now start adding up lessons, camps, three teams, travel, food and all my stuff to help teach the team she plays on, well as cannonball stated it is worth it. This is my last dd, and I wouldn't trade it.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
In general, buy the best equipment you can afford. I made the mistake early on buying inferior equipment (i.e. cheap gloves, aluminum bats) and my DDs game suffered in hindsight. Equipment costs are nothing compared to year-round private pitching and hitting instruction. I don't even want to add up the costs of that but I wouldn't change a thing. The kids grow up so fast, emjoy every minute of it before its over too soon.

Jan 7, 2009
Left Coast
So, I sat down and composed a post about how much I've spent over the years on my and other folks' DDs' softball careers, then I deleted it. I'm not ashamed of the amount (though some would say I should be), but I just don't quantify it that way. I'm a teacher, and I make an average salary. I'm lucky enough to be in a place where my DD gets what she needs when she needs it. She wears Ringors and swings a DeMarini because they're worth it. She rakes leaves and does dishes, not to pay for her gear, but because she does what needs to be done when it needs doing.

Softball has given her an appreciation for dedication and sacrifice and all-out effort. She knows she works harder than most of her peers, and her mom and I encourage her to do just that--in the classroom, on the stage, and in the cage. When I spend money on softball, I'm investing--not in a college scholarship, but in helping a young woman build a foundation on which much of her future success will stand. If she gets a scholarship, be it academic, or musical, or athletic, great. Any one will be attributable to the time and money all of us have spent to grow the person. The time we spend together alone in the cage and with the "team family" all summer is invaluable. Any bucket dad will tell you the same thing. The real answer--Thousands. A bargain at twice the price.

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
spinner55