equipment cost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
Like many questions posed here, the answer is age (of the player)-dependent.

My 7yo:

Glove - $40
Catcher's Mitt - $0 (can use glove)
Bat - $20
Cleats - $25
Batting gloves - $10
Bag - $30
--------------
$125

Now that she's 8yo:

Glove - $0
Mitt - $0
Bat - $40
Cleats - $25
Batting gloves - $0
Bag - $0*
-------------------
$65, which I already paid out during the fall season :)

*I did agree to get her a new bag if she sells her other one at our garage sale and contributes the proceeds towards a new one.

Though impossible to predict accurately, my expectation is that her glove and bat will last her at least one more year, so my only anticipated cost next fall will be cleats.

Jul 9, 2010
What I consider reasonable and what I actually spent are 2 different things. Here's the actual:

Glove -$100-150 - only about once every other year.
Catchers Mitt - no clue - I spent about $80 for mine to catch my DD with
Bat - $200-300 - she gets a new one each year. Sometimes, when I find great deals, she might get 2.
Cleats - $50, every year
Batting gloves - $15, about 4-5 pairs a year
Bag -$100, about every 18 months

Oct 18, 2009
The older she gets and the higher the level of play your dd plays, the more you end up spending. Now what I think is reasonable is different from when my dd 1st started playing from what I think is reasonable now. A $250 bat that retails for $300 feels like a steal.

I'd say when my dd was 7 I spent about what softsocdad spent. Now that she's 11 and playing about 100 games/yr I spend at least what jacketsfan spends.

This is what I think I spent this year.

Glove $100 every 2 years
Catchers Mitt $100
Bat $250 plus $40 practice bat every year
Cleats $100 ringors with protec toes every year
Batting gloves $20 two x year
Bag $80

Mar 13, 2010
Man, I would die before giving up my glove. It's taken me three years to get it to it's current state, and I cried when my last one got stolen.

It's such a shame that softball has turned into a rich girl's sport.

Nov 8, 2010
Softsocdad, Agree as all with that, It is all about the age. I'll also add, depends what level the dd plays at.
I also disagree with a earlier coment, a catcher should have a catchers mitt no matter what age, you don't send a batter up without a helmet, it's about protection.
I also think there is a very small group of girls at the 10u and below level that should be hitting a C-4 and catching with a Nokona. But If you have it to spend, that is why it out there, and you parents are spending. =0)
Now any of you have a dancer, you want to talk about money. I'm glad these two play the best sport, SOFTBALL. God I love this game!!!!
I didn't spend real money till my 2 dd hit 11u and 12u
cost that I experance:
Mitts: $130 for fielding, Worth for one dd 16u. 1st base mitt 189 Worth, catcher 289 Nokona, and a fielding for her 179 Worth, and this is the young one 13u
Bats: 220, 13u and 16u carries 2, 179 and 289
Bag: $0 team should pick that up
Batting gloves: $29 each 2 times a year
Pro tec inter glove (for mitt hand) 22 each 1 time a year
Cleats: 69 to 89 one time a year except the 13u, she has a rubber pair (for age) and a pair of steal this year as well, played up at HS for fall ball
So anyway there is a lot that can go into this. I don't think there is a wrong answer for what you should spend.
I can say, I would never spend this kind of money if my girls were playing Rec.

Have a great day. off to pitching clinic, Again, I love this game

Aug 22, 2009
When DD played her first season of 8U rec ball I sent for a softball equipment catalouge. Remember thinking to myself "who would spend $300 for a kids bat?" DD now plays 12u, has 2 of those bats.

Oct 31, 2010
During t-ball and 8u rec DD's stuff came from wally world. I refused to spend a lot of money on a sport I didn't know if she would like or not. This spring will be her first season of 10u tb.

Glove - $60 on sale (her Grandpa bought)
Catcher's Glove - $0 (not a catcher at this time)
Bat - $200 (will get for Christmas)
Cleats - $15 (no need for anything fancy yet)
Batting Gloves - $10 (bought them 3 years ago, they still fit)
Bag - $20 (bought 3 years ago, waiting to see if team is getting bags or not b4 I buy her a new one)

Nov 8, 2010
That is great, lol. samething in our house. Said to my wife a few years back, I'm not buy her that, r u nttts!!!!!! Only God knew just how wrong I was that day.
=0)

"LIFE'S A BALL" IT'S A NEON YELLOW ONE. Have some fun with it !!

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
what do you consider a reasonable amount of money to spend on a:
Glove
Catchers Mitt
Bat
Cleats
Batting gloves
Bag?

All of these items will cost more money as your DD progresses. If/When she plays travel ball these costs will be a very small part of what comes out of your pocket every season.

The better question is "What are the total costs for my DD's softball for the season?"

The first year 11 year old DD played little league it cost me about $200
* $40 glove
* $40 bat
* $40 uniform
* $30 league fees
* $50 travel expenses (gas for the truck)

This year 15 year old DD plays 18 Gold and will cost - well you really don't want to know...

I guess my point is: If cost is a big part of your decision and $200 is too much, you may want to reconsider softball (or any sport at a competitive level).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
misscoug