equipment cost

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 25, 2010
It's my money. I earned it. I'll spend mine exactly as I choose. As will everyone else. I don't thing there is a reason for anyone to get thier hackles up over how someone else spends their money. [hypocracy]If you want to get worked up over something you should see the booze and cigarette budgets of some of my parents and fellow coaches. Now that's a huge waste of money. [/hypocracy] :D
In principle, you're correct, but in reality, you're wrong. The nature of our federal tax code forces those with high earnings, few/zero kids, who do not smoke/drink with any degree of regularity and who do not financially support a church to subsidize the lifestyles of others. You can argue 'it's complicated', but I wish that the claim you made really WAS accurate. *sigh*

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
[hypocracy]If you want to get worked up over something you should see the booze and cigarette budgets of some of my parents and fellow coaches. Now that's a huge waste of money. [/hypocracy] :D

I hate to tell you this, but your hypocracy font is broken :(

Mar 13, 2010
Please don't think I'm saying that no-one should spend what they want. Obviously it's your money and you have every right to spend it how you wish. I wish my parents would have bought me a bat every year! (glove never!) It was more the mentality (and I have seen this on these boards quite a bit) that unless you buy your daughter completely new gear and spend thousands of lessons you might as well not play the sport at a competitive level. Which I find really, really sad.

Cannonball does your daughter wear a batting glove inside her mitt when she fields? I've never heard of anyone's glove wearing out like that. In Australia it's pretty much a badge of honour to have a 20 year old glove. I'd still have mine if it hadn't been stolen :) I know with my old glove that yes, it did wear out, but I kept fixing it. I can't tell you the amount of times I relaced it, re-did the leather inside and what not. But that glove would take anything on first. I loved it.

I guess my main querry was about gloves, bats and even helmets (unless they were being changed for teams) being a yearly thing. I understand batting gloves, even cleats having to be changed (I HATE that I have to get new b/gloves every year. It's why I stopped buying Easton! Love my new J Finch gloves) yearly. They wear out much quicker.

I'm sorry if I made anyone feel judged.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
There is a thread on here somewhere where I replied to how much the cost was IN my dd's gear bag. Saying I had to replace things at full price, it was in the range of $1500. Did I pay that much? No, but do to the fact I wouldn't be able to get the deals that I did when I did, my replacement costs would be more.

Gear that dd is currently playing with:
fielding glove - $50, bought 2 or 3 years ago
catcher's mitt - $75 bought this spring (only she isn't using it since it isn't broke in, but using the one she broke in last fall that belonged to someone else)
bat - $50 off an auction site, 18 months ago (it was brand new, still in packaging, found them new online for $150-$200)
gear bag - $90, last spring (it is now being held together by gorilla tape)
cleats - $20 sometime during spring season because she outgrew her others midseason
batting gloves - $0, she was given one pair by her catching coach, and she found the other pair.

I am getting her a new bat for Christmas. Again at quite a bargain - $30 new, that I have seen online at $180. She will also probably get some new batting gloves as well. I don't have the extra to spend with 5 kids. She needs quality stuff that will last. I have 3 other kids involved in sports and we would go broke in a hurry. I just learned to be a bargain shopper.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
Lozza, no she doesn't wear her batting glove inside of her fielding glove. She does play a lot of ball. Last year, she didn't have a 1st baseman's mitt and so used her 12" glove at 1st. She probably played 120+ games at 1st with it. Ironically, the glove she uses less is her OF glove. She has had that glove since 8th grade. Now that she is going to play OF in college, maybe she will use it more. We did just buy the 1st baseman's mitt in case she ends up at 1st in college.

Lozza, I don't think you made everyone "feel judged." Most of us know that you are young but excited about the game of softball. What I would say is that on message boards it is sometimes hard for people to realize the true intent of a poster's message. You post some great stuff so keep it up.

Nov 8, 2010
Quoted for truth.

It really is not a rich kid sport, yes to play at a higher level you will spend a few bucks (tow that play). Like I said b-4. Anyone have a dancer at age of 16 or 17. don't mean to be a d*** but yes I'll put it out there. (note, kid will get a full ride) Dance $1100 a mo. yes I did not miss type. We bolth work and hard we make it happen. When there gone that is it. I love my 3 dd's.

Nov 8, 2010
I will never get back the money i have spent on equipment or travel. Having said that, this isn't about money.....Its about the Journey!

I also agree with Lozza. Why is everyone getting new gloves every 2 years? I mean i understand if you bought a 8yo a mitt you will have to replce it as she grows. Doesn't anyone do glove maintanence any more? Or any gear maintanence for that matter? Its just like watching kids walk around in their cleats. PO'S me off.

Best statement ever. "IT IS ABOUT THE JOURNEY" Thank you.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
There is another thread about what other sports does your DD play, a bunch said dance.

$1100 a month? What type of dancing is your DD doing? My DD’s big performance is tomorrow night, she worked hard at it and will be great. 

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mpalesse