End of the year layoff from pitching AND hitting?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not everyone is in the same position.

For example, there are plenty of players where what they do during the off-season will determine their role on their Varsity HS team, or if they make their Varsity team.

There is also a lot to be said for building the athlete first and engaging in multiple sports. For some people that is the right answer, and for others it is the wrong answer.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
I was not talking about practicing in AN off season to accomplish some short term goal like making your HS squad in spring. I was talking about the mentality of "the game never stops" that leads to not EVER having an off season. The game does stop if you tell it to, and a kid will not suffer as a result.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
Like JJ our time off is usually in August. Tends to slow down some in December to January but, we are still playing. With pitching practice down time is just to work on a few things.

Sometimes we just chill out in the house sit on the couch and stare at each other.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
I was not talking about practicing in AN off season to accomplish some short term goal like making your HS squad in spring. I was talking about the mentality of "the game never stops" that leads to not EVER having an off season. The game does stop if you tell it to, and a kid will not suffer as a result.

Listen to the message again.

It's a message given by someone that was highly successful in a particular area. She's basically saying that this is a competitive activity and that there is generally someone out there working on getting better ... whether that person is you or not comes down to you.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
Listen to the message again.

It's a message given by someone that was highly successful in a particular area. She's basically saying that this is a competitive activity and that there is generally someone out there working on getting better ... whether that person is you or not comes down to you.

Save the condescending tone FFS, I was fully capable of understanding her message, and yours, the first time.

Dec 27, 2014
Thanks for the responses. She won't do any pitches in December. She will do gymnastics and various core, leg exercises and spins that her PC has worked up. She also likes curls to build up her 10 year old guns. :p

The question is to ALSO shut down any hitting activities for this time period??

Mentally, this is all just fun for her. I am not worried about burn out from the game. My question is does hitting practice mess with the rest we are trying to give her pitching body?

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
DD is 2 weeks into her 6 week break. She is not pitching or hitting during this time, but is continuing to work out and is preparing for high school basketball. She will start pitching and hitting again shortly after Thanksgiving. We followed the same general format the last two years and it has worked well for her. But as others have mentioned, a lot depends on your situation. DD feels she needs more work on speed and agility, and she is right. So that is the focus right now.

Jan 23, 2014
It is my opinion that rest makes you better and the articles I choose to read support that. But you can find support on the Internet for any position you want to take. The body does need time to heal-my daughter has had some pain in her wrist pitching & hitting aggravate it. She will take time off from both to completely heal-otherwise it can develop into something that bothers her even more. I had her take 2 weeks off between summer and fall-she didn't touch a bat or a ball, she is throwing the ball harder than she ever has after that short rest.

May 18, 2009
DD is finally working with a pitching coach. We see him every two weeks. We are tweeking a few of her mechanics plus switching to a 12" ball. I agree the body needs rest but how does one accomplish changes while taking a break? The top 3 pitchers in our area pitch 5 days per week in the off season. 4 days per week during season plus games.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rosie