emergency pitching need

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I guess my question of you more experienced pitching coaches is....is there any chance of training these girls in a month to be able to throw strikes?

Any of them could probably learn to toss the ball and guide it into the plate. So are you saying allow them to use bad form but just teach them how to place it?

So, you want them to have good control and good form, and you want the pitchers to learn this in 30 days? And, let me guess, the girls will practice twice a week for one hour a day?

Apr 13, 2010
I would like to recommend the tape/DVD Framing the Pitch, Denny Throneburg. I hope it is still available.

It teaches the pitch, breaking it down, in four parts. Flicking from the hip, holding the ball straight back from the shoulder, holding the ball up overhead, (forearm touches ear and thumb is turned toward 3rd) and the complete arm circle.

You start with the flick from the hip.

He teaches it down on one knee and on a power line.

Yes, Joan Joyce, was the best. She was a Brakette in the 60s and 70s. She is a Fl. college coach.

Thanks for all the help Amy!! I'll try to get some of these girls started on these techniques.

Lisa

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Actually, I'm with Amy's first suggestion. If all you want is strikes, and speed doesn't matter, teach them to slingshot the ball. It's the easiest way to direct the ball where you want it to go. Doesn't even have to be a full, proper slingshot of the Joan Joyce variety. They can use the "bowling" motion to accomplish what you want. It's a dead end as far as advancing goes, but they can decide after the season if advancing is important to them and start learning properly then.

I have the Denny Throneburg tape. Unless he's updated it I wouldn't use that one. There are some things in there that aren't what good pitchers really do. Including flicking the wrist and holding the ball straight back from the shoulder with a stiff elbow. Michele Smith's Beginning Pitching or Bill Hillhouse's Building the House are much better for teaching proper fundamentals.

Apr 13, 2010
So, you want them to have good control and good form, and you want the pitchers to learn this in 30 days? And, let me guess, the girls will practice twice a week for one hour a day?

I did mention that what we NEEDED to happen was not ideal. That's why I was just looking for any advice on having any remote chance of getting at least 1 or 2 girls throwing strikes somewhat consistently. We have practices twice a week for 90 minutes. We have already told the girls that anyone who wants to pitch will have to practice outside of our regular practices also. I'm thinking of making myself available for another 1 hour a week sometime to work with them and I can work with my daughter any time at home. We already started working on some things last night and she's showing a little more patience.

Lisa

Apr 13, 2010
They can use the "bowling" motion to accomplish what you want. It's a dead end as far as advancing goes, but they can decide after the season if advancing is important to them and start learning properly then.

I have the Denny Throneburg tape. Unless he's updated it I wouldn't use that one. There are some things in there that aren't what good pitchers really do. Including flicking the wrist and holding the ball straight back from the shoulder with a stiff elbow. Michele Smith's Beginning Pitching or Bill Hillhouse's Building the House are much better for teaching proper fundamentals.

I just ordered and received a copy of Coach's Guide to Game-Winning Softball Drills: Developing the Essential Skills in Every Player Coach's Guide to Game-Winning Softball Drills: Developing the Essential Skills in Every Player one of the editors is Michele Smith. I liked the section with the drills on pitching and since you recommended her it's probably a good start.

I did look for the Denny Throneburg video and I assume it has not been updated since it's not available in DVD. Good mentioning the bowling technique. I believe what I'll do is give girls the option of what they want to do.

I really appreciate all the help everyone has given me!

Lisa

FJRGerry

Abby's Dad
Jan 23, 2009
Collegeville, PA
I would have the girls simply work arm circle drills then incorporate a small circle premotion with a step-style pitch - this is about as simple as it gets.

Since most of the velocity comes from the arm circle it's crucial to work this aspect. Have your pitchers play catch using the windmill motion where each stands at a 45 degree angle and just throws using the windmill motion with a quick arm circle - don't worry about arm whip or wrist snap - these should come somewhat naturally if the arm speed is sufficient. After maybe 50 throws each using this method incorporate a small step and foot drag while still maintaining a 45 degree body angle (so the arm circle is comfortable for the shoulder). Depending on the comfort level, have the girls step 1 to 2 feet while performing the arm circle. After another 50 throws each change into a full pitching routine where each girl faces each other (40 feet apart) then does a small premotion of bringing ball and glove together, making a small circle, then steps out and throws windmill style. Ideally the girls should attempt throwing inside/outside pitches at least since straight down the middle pitches can be hit HARD back at them.

Keep in mind the above advice is for an emergency situation so some corners are getting cut.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut