Email's and what they imply!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 18, 2011
That coach definitely has interest. Coaches don't take the time to write personal emails to club team managers without genuine interest. Congrats!!

Also - I disagree with cuzmail's point equating interest with whether the school picks up the tab for the cost of the camp. Maybe I'm naive, but I've never heard of that before. DD had a fair amount of interest from different schools, but nobody ever offered to waive the camp fee.

Dec 12, 2012
On the bucket
Also - I disagree with cuzmail's point equating interest with whether the school picks up the tab for the cost of the camp. Maybe I'm naive, but I've never heard of that before. DD had a fair amount of interest from different schools, but nobody ever offered to waive the camp fee.

You are free to disagree. :D
Keep in mind I did not say this is the only way to judge sincere interest.

Last edited:
Sep 18, 2011
You are free to disagree. :D
Keep in mind I did not say this is the only way to judge sincere interest.

Not to quibble but the school picking up the cost of the camp as an indicator of interest was rather stressed in your post. Just a little puzzled because A) I have never heard of that before and B) as MNDad has indicated that violates NCAA rules, does it not? Just didn't want the OP to get disappointed if the school didn't offer to waive the camp fee.

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
While I've never heard of schools picking up the tab on a camp I assume it happens. It's like a D1 or D2 coach emailing you before they're allowed too. If you don't tattle and they don't tattle who is left to tattle?

But I don't hold out hope that i'll get a free camp out of it. I'm just trying to come to grips with what things mean as the process intensifies, schedule becomes larger and cost rises. I want to direct my limited funds in the right directions. Coaches say and do a whole bunch of things. Had a coach tell my DD she was a program changing talent, this was a D2 school. She's emailed several times asking for camp information, provided schedule for tournaments that were close to the school and even attended a game when they played a local school. Haven't heard or seen from them since. Frustrating and exciting all at the same time I guess.

Jun 17, 2014
I wish my daughter had a coach emailing her club team manager! Hopefully that will come in time. I agree that seems like a good indication of real interest. Just out of curiousity - what year is your daughter graduating?

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
I wish my daughter had a coach emailing her club team manager! Hopefully that will come in time. I agree that seems like a good indication of real interest. Just out of curiousity - what year is your daughter graduating?

She's a 2019. Catcher/1B/OF. She fills in wherever the manager needs her really. He thinks she's an athlete lol

Mar 26, 2013
If it is an DI institutional camp - yes. Not sure about DII and DIII?
Actually, D-II and D-III are more stringent since they ban it across the board for PSA's while D-I is narrower (i.e. varsity letter and/or recruited) and allows discounts unrelated to athletics ability.

D-I:
13.12.1.7 Employment of Prospective Student-Athletes/No Free or Reduced Admission Privileges.
13.12.1.7.1 General Rule.
An institution, members of its staff or representatives of its athletics interests shall not employ or give free or reduced admission privileges to a prospective student-athlete who is an athletics award winner (i.e. varsity letter) or any individual being recruited by the institution per Bylaw 13.02.13.1. An institution may offer discounted admission to its camps and clinics based on objective criteria unrelated to athletics abilities (e.g., registration prior to a specific date, online registration, attendance at multiple sessions, group discounts), provided such discounts are published and available on an equal basis to all who qualify. [R] (Revised: 3/10/04, 4/20/09, 9/24/09)

D-II:
13.12.1.5 Prospective Student-Athletes/No Free or Reduced Admission Privileges.
13.12.1.5.1 Prospective Student-Athlete.
In operating a sports camp or clinic, an institution, members of its staff or a representative of its athletics interests shall not give free or reduced admission privileges to any individual who has started classes for the ninth grade. [R] (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/15/11, 6/22/11)

D-III:
13.12.1.4 Prospective Student-Athletes/No Free or Reduced Admission Privileges.
In operating a sports camp or clinic, an institution, members of its staff or a representative of its athletics interests shall not give free or reduced admission privileges to any individual who has started classes for the ninth grade. [R] (Revised: 1/11/89, 1/14/08)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nate321