Elbow Up

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 4, 2011
I have a 9 year pitcher who has been taking lessons for 1 year. Her pitching coach supports the "elbow up" follow through and straight arm in the rotation. However, another pitching coach has told us that the "elbow up" follow through and straight arm rotation can be dangerous to her arm, long term.

I would like others to chime in on your thoughts regarding "elbow up" or not.

Jul 21, 2008
I have a 9 year pitcher who has been taking lessons for 1 year. Her pitching coach supports the "elbow up" follow through and straight arm in the rotation. However, another pitching coach has told us that the "elbow up" follow through and straight arm rotation can be dangerous to her arm, long term.

I would like others to chime in on your thoughts regarding "elbow up" or not.

Ask you pitching coach to show you video of an elite pitcher doing the hello elbow. He want be able to produce any video because none of the elite pitcher will do it. Go to the model pitching thread on this site and look for yourself. I would fire your current pitching coach and start taken lesson with other PC.

If you were to go to 10 different Pitching Coaches 8 or 9 of them will all teach the hello elbow, atleast that has been my experience. They all teach what they were taught and not what they DO!

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
The basic "elbow up", where the arm finishes in an "L" shape, is pretty much last the old way. Pitchers use something called "Internal Rotation" or "IR" for short. There are a couple of threads about it on this board.

This video of Yukiko Ueno, who many consider the best pitcher in the world. This is a simple fastball. I don't see the elbow going up.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=sluggers.10004&channelname=sluggers.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
Throwing with a straight / locked elbow throws all the stress onto the shoulder complex and has been considered unsafe for years. Unfortunately, it is still taught.

A follow through that brings the throwing hand up near the throwing shoulder is very stressful on the elbow itself.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I have 25 students ages 9-14, I teach release and relax. The pitching hand will normally goes towards the other side of the body. We do not make a muscle and point the elbow at the catcher.

Yes, I see it done, with young girls over an over, but it makes no sense. The ball is gone.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
The reason they have them bring the elbow up is because they feel that follow through gives the absolute most speed.

Rationale; the fingers are in contact pushing to the very last millisecond. Any other follow through would result in a slower ball speed.

May 18, 2009
I like the video of Jennie Finch where she's talking to the young students. She tells them the hello elbow style but doesn't throw it herself.

I think the internet and forums like this are getting people to open their eyes to the truth.

May 5, 2008
Love love love the elbow snap/whip in that clip! Her elbow reaches her hip long before the ball. Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

btw - if you do the elbow snap/whip like that, your elbow does not finish "up" unless you move it into the up position as an after thought.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The basic "elbow up", where the arm finishes in an "L" shape, is pretty much last the old way. Pitchers use something called "Internal Rotation" or "IR" for short. There are a couple of threads about it on this board.

This video of Yukiko Ueno, who many consider the best pitcher in the world. This is a simple fastball. I don't see the elbow going up.

<embed src="http://share.ovi.com/flash/player.aspx?media=sluggers.10004&channelname=sluggers.softball" width="512" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

Enjoy the above video. Can't help but notice the 'rag loose' forearm upon release.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AcworthSoftballMom