Earned Run Question

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 4, 2009
In the situation that caused me to ask this question there was no relief brought in. The other team went on to score 5 after that and the pitcher was credited with 2 earned runs which got me curious. Upon further inspection of the stats the catcher wasn't credited with an error on the play(she called the pitcher off which both she and the pitcher know/should know not to do) but I had just assumed that a dropped pop up would be an error regardless of who dropped it and whether "protocol" was followed.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
I think that depends on if the scorekeeper is the pitcher or catcher's mom.
But seriously without seeing the play couldn't really say but genrally speaking, if it is a dropped pop that can be caught with normal effort, an error should be charged.
If two fielder call the ball and both back away letting it fall, it is basehit. This is a case where you should be able to charge a "team error" but there isn't such an animal.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Thanks for the info, guys. Mojo's ERA from the fall just shrunk by 50%. ;)

Lots of times you really have to go back over the book, especially depends on who keeps it. They may not try to be dishonest, it could just be pure ignorance. You have to reconstruct those innings play by play to charge the correct stat to the correct player or players.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Maybe I'm slow tonight or maybe I read the softball link too fast. What is the earned run difference for a relief in BB vs SB? Aren't they both charged for earned runs they put on and scored?

I didn't say they were different, did I? In fact, I specifically said that the guide in the link just happens to agree with on this point.

There are some differences you'll find in scoring, baseball vs. softball, and I thought that maybe some folks would like to have the softball scoring guide handy for future reference.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
I didn't say they were different, did I? In fact, I specifically said that the guide in the link just happens to agree with on this point.

There are some differences you'll find in scoring, baseball vs. softball, and I thought that maybe some folks would like to have the softball scoring guide handy for future reference.

I agree on some difference in the BB/SB stats, just making sure I wasn't missing something on this particular instance. That's why I like the baseball link, the examples help people understand beyond the written rules.

Thanks for the link.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DragonAC