Early bat speed - does it exist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 29, 2013
QuoTE="fanboi22, post: 547882, member: 13827"]
Bobby, you also haven't addressed the 'whip' in the sling. Sorry, i was really curious to hear your reply on that.
[/QUOTE]
No whip in the sling. Strictly centripetal force. No slack.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
You really don’t see the hands stopping and the barrel accelerating ???

Oh no Mike ! Bobby says your doing it wrong.

No andrew !

No miggy !

No mookie !

No hank !

the front arm is an adjuster. It’s not a power supplier.

Create some stills, frame by frame, showing the hands stopping and the bat accelerating. You won't because it doesn't happen. In some of the videos the radius of the circular hand path gets shorter, but physics says the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop. It may move in relation to the body but the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop.
[/QUOTE]

Hanks hands stop and turn left. Easy to see. All his energy is channeled into the barrel. No wasted energy transfer. Nothing going towards the dugout.

How about Miggy, same?

Mike ?

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I will post some swings where the top hand actually does some uncocking slightly early. The hands are a rotational point, although when you don't have a strong hinge angle it's like putting a parachute on the barrel. As a result the barrel lag is more pronounced creating a linear action in an attempt to recover from the early top hand action. Basically you have to hold on for your life as you go linear as a adjustment from the early top hand action.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

It's subtle in the swing, but you can see how it affects the swing.

could one benefit from a ‘tip’. I believe so. But imo the player will feel their way through that process. If they use it as a power source I think sequence issues arise.

edit: over coaching it either way is detrimental imo.

Jul 29, 2013
"No energy until the core pulls. ...."
"No supination in high level swings...."
"Whip...."
and then here comes Manny with this homer...and everybody's theories go to H.

Attachments

• mannyramirez_000.gif
    mannyramirez_000.gif
    4.4 MB · Views: 18
Oct 2, 2017
"Whip...."

It only makes your theory go to hell if your are so hell bent on your opinion of the swing that there is no room for other possibilities. LOL

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
"Whip...."

I don’t know what you’re saying. But it matches what I preach. Core pulls into foot down. Barrel receives energy afterward. During the swing the chest stops and the arms are released.

Jul 29, 2013
Create some stills, frame by frame, showing the hands stopping and the bat accelerating. You won't because it doesn't happen. In some of the videos the radius of the circular hand path gets shorter, but physics says the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop. It may move in relation to the body but the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop.

Hanks hands stop and turn left. Easy to see. All his energy is channeled into the barrel. No wasted energy transfer. Nothing going towards the dugout.

How about Miggy, same?

Mike ?

[/QUOTE]
Are these clips supposed to prove a point?
And then the comment about Hank (btw no relevance in the video) "hands top and turn left." Do they stop or turn? How long do they stop? (The video stops)
The video of Mike is a great example of torquing the barrel.
So what's your point and are you going to make the frame by frame to show the hands stopping because in the videos the hands keep moving.

Jul 29, 2013
I don’t know what you’re saying. But it matches what I preach. Core pulls into foot down. Barrel receives energy afterward. During the swing the chest stops and the arms are released.
You're right. You don't know what I'm saying!
Here it is:
Torque the handle! Turn the barrel!
The rest is window dressing.

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali

How about Miggy, same?

Mike ?

Are these clips supposed to prove a point?
And then the comment about Hank (btw no relevance in the video) "hands top and turn left." Do they stop or turn? How long do they stop? (The video stops)
The video of Mike is a great example of torquing the barrel.
So what's your point and are you going to make the frame by frame to show the hands stopping because in the videos the hands keep moving.
[/QUOTE]

still frames are useless when one is looking for ‘force production’ It shows static positions. It doesn’t show how one got to that position.

yes the chest stops, the hands turn left( stop) and the chest follows. The best are ‘hitters’ not ‘swingers’.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207