Early bat speed - does it exist?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
Is Manny torquing here ?

BvT61Mp.gif

How about Hank here ?

BVMKsCq.gif

Jun 8, 2016
So is the changing of barrel direction considered torquing ?

TWLDgGQ.gif

xWhLdsp.gif
At launch part of rearward barrel movement is due to core pulling as you subscribe to and part is due to hand/wrist/forearm action on the handle...imo of course 😁

The possible problem with all of the snap it drills (like the one you showed) is their typically is no pulling core, or the core movement is modified from the hitter's normal swing, so I am not sure how well they transfer to an actual swing. May work for some kids I guess

Edit: On the otherhand TM made a twitter post yesterday related to the last paragraph I typed...who knows. I fully admit I don't have all the answers (or even any.. :LOL: )

Screenshot from 2020-02-11 09-30-46.png

Last edited:

TDS

Mar 11, 2010
At launch part of rearward barrel movement is due to core pulling as you subscribe to and part is due to hand/wrist/forearm action on the handle.

Ok, but don't you think the hands/wrists/forearms have all they can do to channel steer during this core pulling movement ? IOW's if they're not working together wouldn't the barrel get left behind and maybe even dumped ?

Jul 29, 2013
He stopped, the barrel kept going, it did NOT accelerate!

You really don’t see the hands stopping and the barrel accelerating ???

Oh no Mike ! Bobby says your doing it wrong.

No andrew !

No miggy !

No mookie !

No hank !

the front arm is an adjuster. It’s not a power supplier.
[/QUOTE]
Create some stills, frame by frame, showing the hands stopping and the bat accelerating. You won't because it doesn't happen. In some of the videos the radius of the circular hand path gets shorter, but physics says the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop. It may move in relation to the body but the bat doesn't accelerate when the hands stop.

Jun 8, 2016
Ok, but don't you think the hands/wrists/forearms have all they can do to channel steer during this core pulling movement ? IOW's if they're not working together wouldn't the barrel get left behind and maybe even dumped ?
The hands are also directing...never said they were not. Turn it to the ball...

Oct 13, 2014
South Cali
I don't know about forcing (I don't think good hitters force anything tbh) but a common theme before the internet was that a hitter had good hands..to me part of that was some torque 🤷‍♂️

I don't teach my DD to torque the handle. I mainly want her to be in a good position at launch to be as quick and adjustable as possible and let her figure out what she needs to do from that position in order to achieve that goal. Others may feel the need to go further, I don't.

Nice ! I would only add, learning‘how’ to rotate and how to stop. That’s my lessons in a nut shell unless the player has casty hands. Jmo. Relax P. 😆

Jun 8, 2016
Nice ! I would only add, learning‘how’ to rotate and how to stop. That’s my lessons in a nut shell unless the player has casty hands. Jmo. Relax P. 😆
I am relaxed...both kids are hitting well right now 😁 (in BP at least). Looking forward for Marcela's season to start...will see how it goes. On the otherhand not sure how much I am looking forward to t-ball starting for the DS...that will be interesting. He keeps telling me he is going to play baseball not t-ball...😂

I've said this all along although sometimes I forget to follow my own advice. Hitters get better by hitting. Give them the basics and then let them hit... A LOT. What I am arguing is what happens in the best hitters who have gone through this process.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207