Dumbest Thing a Parent Ever Said!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Never had a lesson? Or never had a formal lesson? What pitches does she have? How did she learn?

Or was that meant to be an answer to the thread subject?

Never had a formal lesson. She started pitching and basically I let her do it. She went to one camp that had 40 girls there and they showed them the grips for a few pitches and she worked on them at home. My contribution is mainly catching her, and staying out of the way of her ability. Too many bucket dads ruin more then they fix by trying to tinker with too much.

She throws a fastball, a CU and a drop curve. She has worked on a peel drop, but it isn't a pitch she is ready to use.

Jun 18, 2010
I had a girl show up for a rec game in flip flops (she did have on socks). The girl forgot her cleats at home (only a few minutes away from the park). The mother asks me during pre-game warmups if she needed to go back and get her cleats.

Apr 25, 2010
We had a parent in rec ball last year who only had her kid at one practice in the whole pre-season. She also missed the first two games of the season. Come the third game of the season, she asks me, while I'm coaching 1st, "Why is little Susie playing in right field and for only 2 innings?" Um, maybe because she never came to practice, and can't catch, throw, hit, or run??? Maybe??? Duh.

Jul 26, 2010
Why? Why do you think that is dumb? Because I don't pay $50 a week and my dd keeps up with the pitchers whose parents do?

Clearly she is self motivated and possesses talent. Do you ever wonder about how much more enjoyment she might get out of the game if she did have good instruction? Ever wonder that she might be doing something unhealthy with her motion? Most people spend $50 a week on overpriced dirty bean water at starbucks. Kids are worth giving up dirty bean water for.

-W

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Not to hi-jack this thread,but my DD does not go to a pitching coach either.She has in the past when she was 8 just to learn the basics.Then again when she was 10 just to be indoors during the winter.The main reseason is probably from what I read and learned on this site.I have not been able to find someone that doesn't coach elbow to catcher ect...So I blame this site LOL.Another reseason is DD busy schedule with school, soccer,basketball and then softball season.We have to try and practice when we can.Would she be better if she had a pitching coach? Maybe.She seems to do alright with me as her coach.I try to learn as much as I can and feel as long as she throws and practices she will do just fine.DD is 13 yrs old.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Then again maybe I posted in the correct thread and this is the ''dumbest thing a parent ever said''.Also try and be her hitting coach too.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
Then again maybe I posted in the correct thread and this is the ''dumbest thing a parent ever said''.Also try and be her hitting coach too.

No you didn't. The reality is that if there are no better options, sometimes dumb ol' Dad has to do the best he can.

FWIW, Skype or similar distance-learning sessions are becoming a viable alternative when there are no good local options.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
We do the best we can with what we have.Sure like most people we have to watch the spending.The time me and the DD spend together alone is practice to her but daddy time to me.We also get lots of help from the great people on DFP.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez