Dumbest Thing a Parent Ever Said!!!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I had a mom tell me today that their friend's DD wasn't going to take pitching lessons. The dad said that she doesn't need lessons to pitch. The girl is 10.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
It's the rec semifinals, pitcher is on the mound and is starting to loose it after a good inning. The dad is frantically pacing the sidelines hollering to her about random faults in her motion. Finally he loses it and loudly hollers to his DD, "I spent a $100 on lessons for you yesterday and this is all I get?" She didn't come near the plate again.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
I have seen some nasty and very stupid stuff over the years.

The 'You struck out because the umpire sucked' after the girl swung at three pitches that were not even close always makes me shake my head.

The worst I have seen recently involved a head coach and a parent and a 8U team from one of the organizations with a bad reputation in the area. We had just arrived at the fields for our game and as we left the parking lot you could hearing two men screaming at the top of their voices... We walk in and three fields away from where the parking lot was we find these two jerks have their entire team in the dugout on a field where no game is being played and are taking turns yelling at them over various plays and errors in their previous games. Included were various gems such as "You don't deserve to wear our uniform", "What were you thinking out there", "If you can't play better than that you should stop playing because it isn't worth our time to work with you".... You can invent your own terms here, though I am not sure you can go for the full 15 minutes these two went at these poor girls.

Where were the rest of the team's parents? They were behind and around the dugout APPLAUDING the coaches and encouraging them.

So picture this. Two GROWN men yelling abuse at 10-12 eight year old girls for 15+ minutes while the girl's parents stood around and applauded.

And this wasn't the stupidest thing I heard about this... A couple of months later my DD was at a softball camp with one of these girls and I was chatting to her dad. I was talking about what happened and I asked why he let his daughter play for someone like that:

"He is a really good coach."

No.. no he isn't.

02Crush

Way past gone
Aug 28, 2011
The Crazy Train
Parents yells from bleachers to the Pitcher when the pitch was a ball (outside) by umpire. "Come on! Finish the pitch, follow through, you're not doing it right." I got off my bucket, ran out and told player she was fine and to ignore her dad. Why...b/c she was given the call to pitch outside by me. We had a 1-2 count and wanted to see if the batter would chase it. Oh well...

Oct 25, 2009
My dd has never had a lesson. She is 14 and has been the #1 pitcher on her team for 3 out of the last 4 seasons.

Never had a lesson? Or never had a formal lesson? What pitches does she have? How did she learn?

Or was that meant to be an answer to the thread subject?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2011
Colorado
I have a funny one for boys little league Majors (age 12). Bases are loaded, one out. Parent yells out "watch the bunt!". I was chuckling to myself because in one of my dd's games, the opposing team had bases loaded, one out. The batter bunted - I think by accident. It looked like it was supposed to be a bunt pull-back, but the pull-back part didn't happen. Our catcher picked up the ball, stepped on home and threw to first to end the inning. The third base coach yelled "that was not what I called!" Gotta love youth sports. :)

Oct 25, 2009
16U. On a 3-0 count, 2 outs, runner on 1st, I gave a fake bunt signal to the batter. The batter bunted the ball to the pitcher. Out at 1st. She started crying. Her Dad, my 1st base coach, got really angry and said very loudly, "We've got too blank many signals."

Obviously.

Mar 15, 2010
10U rec ball, first time player, first game. Rainy Jan/Feb so only able to get a total of about 5 practices in before first game. League rule is every player must play at least one inning of infield. Stick the girl at second and draw a circle in the dirt as she had no clue where to stand. Ground ball hit her direction, her mom yells from the stands, "Let it go that's outside your circle".

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
salgonzalez