Dropped Third Strike Rule

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 13, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
The Uncaught Third Strike Rule is often misunderstood and causes some confusion. It's a strange rule, and like some of the other strange rules of the game it has it's origins in the earliest days of the game of baseball.....

Where did you find that explanation of the third strike rule? I'm curious because I wrote it! That is a "cut & paste" of a post I personally wrote either here or on another discussion board.

Oct 13, 2010
Oklahoma
Or in this case with the bases loaded & 2 outs , just pick up the ball and tag home plate with the foot. Put out at home would also end the game.

My DD was a 1st year catcher last spring. She knew the rule, but didn't trust the 1st baseman to always throw the ball to her.

Here's the scenario:
Bases loaded, 2 outs. Wild pitch on 3rd strike. DD picks up the ball, sees runner advancing to 2nd (never hears any of us saying step on home), throws the ball to 2nd. 2nd tags the bag, and then gets the girl running from 2nd to 3rd on a tag. they then threw the ball back home and DD tagged the runner coming home. LOL! It was chaos. They wound up with like 5 outs to win the game.

Dec 2, 2010
At a tournament we had 2 outs w/ bases loaded dropped third strike. Our catcher stepped on home for 3rd out right? But no blue calls runner safe and says w/ 2 outs play at home isn`t a force and a tag was needed ?

Jun 22, 2008
At a tournament we had 2 outs w/ bases loaded dropped third strike. Our catcher stepped on home for 3rd out right? But no blue calls runner safe and says w/ 2 outs play at home isn`t a force and a tag was needed ?

Blue needs to do a little more reading of the rule book. Batter attempting to advance on a dropped third strike is no different than if they were trying to advance to 1st on a batted ball. Any runner forced to vacate the base by the batter/runner advancing is subject to a force out situation.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2010
Michigan

With 2 outs is the only time its a force play, since with less then 2 outs the batter is out because of strike 3 and 1st base being occupied.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008

Really? Did you ask just where the runner was supposed to go if not forced to leave 3B? This guy/gal needs to learn how to umpire.

Aug 4, 2008
Lexington,Ohio
Batter swings and misses on 3rd strike with no one on base. Catcher drops the ball. Batter walks toward the dugout in disgust. Catcher throws the ball back to pitcher in the circle. Meanwhile, the dugout coach pushes the batter toward first base, the batter then proceeds to run across the middle of the diamond and reaches first base. Is she allowed to stay at first or is she out? This is a post from a high school game that is very interesting and happened. Hint art 4 under NFHS. I asked 6 coaches and 4 umpires this weekend and all got the rule wrong. She put one foot in the bench area and was called safe at first.

Aug 29, 2011
NorCal
Batter swings and misses on 3rd strike with no one on base. Catcher drops the ball. Batter walks toward the dugout in disgust. Catcher throws the ball back to pitcher in the circle. Meanwhile, the dugout coach pushes the batter toward first base, the batter then proceeds to run across the middle of the diamond and reaches first base. Is she allowed to stay at first or is she out? This is a post from a high school game that is very interesting and happened. Hint art 4 under NFHS. I asked 6 coaches and 4 umpires this weekend and all got the rule wrong. She put one foot in the bench area and was called safe at first.

1st bold - She would be out for coaches interfernce regardless if the coach pushes her in the direction of 1B.

2nd bold - Once she returns to her team area/dugout she is out. But I don't know if one foot or both is required to make an out ruling, perhaps an ump MTR or Brettman can clarify?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26