Dropped Pitches?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
In working with catchers and watching students in game conditions, one thing we see a lot is dropped pitches. This is more prevalent with younger catchers. (Surprising, huh?) Many times the issue is not the catcher squeezing the pitch, but using the wrong sized glove for their body. Other times it's using the wrong glove for their sport... I see a lot of baseball mitts getting used for fastpitch. (Not a good idea!)

One thing we also see is that the catcher is not adjusting the glove correctly on their hand. Many catchers will put the glove on and immediately cinch down the wrist strap good and tight. The problem with cinching the wristband down really tight at this point (Especially for younger catchers and newer mitts) is that the wrist band can fight against the hand and prevent the catcher from closing the glove all the way. Try having your catcher leave the wristband loose when they first put it on, then squeeze the glove closed. Then while squeezing the glove closed, cinch down the wristband. The glove may feel just a bit looser, but we see a lot less dropped pitches with this simple little tip.
-Chaz @ Advanced Catching Concepts

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Baseball catchers mitt have a very thick padding all around the circumferance of the mitt. It makes the pocket smaller and gets in the way of the bigger ball.

Nov 12, 2009
Kansas City
Baseball and fastpitch catcher's mitts have distinct design differences. InsidePitch and Chinamigarden noted 2 of the biggest differences. I have baseball and fastpitch catcher's mitts that I use in lessons depending on who I am working with. Both gloves are 33" circumference, but my baseball mitt has a pocket depth of 5 inches while the F/P mitt has a depth of 6 inches. The differences can be even larger depending on glove manufacturer. The palm area of the glove is deeper as well in the F/P mitts. I lose the baseball in my F/P mitt and drop softballs in the B/B mitt.

Hand size is also a difference. While youth mitts are fitted fairly similar between boys and girls, teen and adult gloves are sized accordingly with B/B mitts fitted for larger boys hands. (generally speaking)

Check out the difference in pocket depth and palm area of the two Nokona gloves below, Please note, I am not pushing this brand but are using them for illustration purposes)

item-nk09-cm275kcwl.jpg
item-nk09-cm600bll.jpg

One other issue we have seen is pitches breaking free of the glove for a passed pitch. many years ago, the DD (using a high end F/P mitt with one year of use) started getting a lot more passed balls in 16A. After a few games and a well timed photograph, we discovered that the finger section of the glove was folding over when hit directly. Anything remotely outside the pocket just bent the glove over backwards. Inspection of the glove showed that the reinforcements in the padded sections had failed. The pads are layers of felt with reinforcing stiffeners inserted. (B?B mitts tend to have additional felt layers for thicker padding) The stiffeners for this glove was a hardened, pressed cardboard that had broken in 3 places! (It was time for a new glove!)

-Chaz @ ACC

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA