Drop ball string target

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
Can I just ask something here? Why is this necessary? As a coach or the catcher for a pitcher, are we saying we can't see where the ball starts and it's drop to where it's caught? Personally, regardless of whether I'm catching for the pitcher or standing beside her, I can see movement (or not) on the pitch so, why the string? I don't understand the need for this.

Jan 28, 2017
Can I just ask something here? Why is this necessary? As a coach or the catcher for a pitcher, are we saying we can't see where the ball starts and it's drop to where it's caught? Personally, regardless of whether I'm catching for the pitcher or standing beside her, I can see movement (or not) on the pitch so, why the string? I don't understand the need for this.
Working with two 15 year old girls and they really like it. I put the band at the edge of the front of the plate just above knee high. They liked the fact that they could see where the catcher was catching it after they hit the string. Also, threw drop and then rise and tried to hit the string on both (tunneling). It helped them. I don't think it would have helped me back in the day but they see things different than me.

Have more ideas but haven't used them yet.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri

For DD it’s simply a visual aid more than anything else. We set it 8ft or so out front of the plate while she works on on release point, spin, and ultimately consistency.

Some may not need it. But, it’s noticeably helped her. Came as a suggestion from her PC.

We also make a game out of it. How many out of 5 can she/I hit the string. Generally she wins.

Aug 21, 2008
So, the object is to hit the string or to make the ball go over/under it? I am truly not trying to be difficult, I don't understand. If the pitch has correct spin, and the right release point, it will drop. Usually I can see the catcher's mitt moving to indicate the pitch movement and see where it's caught to gauge how much it moved. And, as someone who catches a lot during my lessons, there's no way I'd want that in front of me!! lol. Doesn't the ball hitting the string effect the pitch?

Jun 8, 2016
And, as someone who catches a lot during my lessons, there's no way I'd want that in front of me!! lol. Doesn't the ball hitting the string effect the pitch?
This was my thought..I don't catch anybody though so they can have it 🤣

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
So, the object is to hit the string or to make the ball go over/under it? I am truly not trying to be difficult, I don't understand. If the pitch has correct spin, and the right release point, it will drop. Usually I can see the catcher's mitt moving to indicate the pitch movement and see where it's caught to gauge how much it moved. And, as someone who catches a lot during my lessons, there's no way I'd want that in front of me!! lol. Doesn't the ball hitting the string effect the pitch?

When we’re playing the game yes. But neither of us are catching that’s for sure.

Ultimately over the string (as close as possible) with ball dropping after it. She likes it and keeps her pitching. I’m not going to argue with that.

Jan 6, 2018
For us, hit it. The Chinese jump rope version doesn’t effect ball flight much, but I wear gear when I catch. And for the “why;” yes, it’s a game. We play a lot of games. 2-3 days a week for 7 years and you come up with some stuff to make it fun.

For my paying students I use much fewer “games” because they aren’t as tired of me yet LOL.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles