Drop ball string target

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 28, 2017
Tincher band doesn't change the ball. I have the HS catcher in full gear. Only used it for one day but tryin to hit it. It helped them visually see that the ball is knee high at the front of the plate but almost hitting the ground before the catcher frames it. Then we worked throwing it over the band to make sure the umpire will give us the pitch.

Oct 1, 2014
USA
So, the object is to hit the string or to make the ball go over/under it? I am truly not trying to be difficult, I don't understand. If the pitch has correct spin, and the right release point, it will drop. Usually I can see the catcher's mitt moving to indicate the pitch movement and see where it's caught to gauge how much it moved. And, as someone who catches a lot during my lessons, there's no way I'd want that in front of me!! lol. Doesn't the ball hitting the string effect the pitch?
What I don't understand is these people who are putting this at the plate? We set it up out front (as I described before) where the pitch starts it's break. It was very much a visual aid and target for DD to place her pitch through that tunnel/window or whatever you want to call it. After that point of the ball's flight path it was easy to see how much it dropped (or not). We always wanted every pitch to travel through that same window regardless of what she was throwing. Trying to hit the string? Not so much, sure it happened but that was not the goal. And if you did hit it the Chinese jump rope minimized any deflection which allowed my other DD (the Catcher) to save face and remain confident back there rather than practicing catching accidents.

Oct 4, 2018
Can I just ask something here? Why is this necessary? As a coach or the catcher for a pitcher, are we saying we can't see where the ball starts and it's drop to where it's caught? Personally, regardless of whether I'm catching for the pitcher or standing beside her, I can see movement (or not) on the pitch so, why the string? I don't understand the need for this.

You beat me to it.

We've used the string and I immediately thought: "How is this helping her?"

I don't think it does. Do we put a vertical string out for the curve?

Jan 28, 2017
You beat me to it.

We've used the string and I immediately thought: "How is this helping her?"

I don't think it does. Do we put a vertical string out for the curve?
You can use it for curve also. Can use it vertical or to help them see if it holds it's lift or drops. Like I said, I personally wouldn't find that it was beneficial but both of the 15 years old pitchers love it. One will get offers and the other could possibly.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
The string is a visualization drill. The drop is like shooting a basketball upside down, you want a little arc to the pitch and drop it into the catchers glove. I say that the pitcher is throwing the backside of the ball, pulling the fingers upward. Gravity helps as well.

Use a 14inch softball for creating the feeling of more surface to pull up on like shooting a basketball.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
2 million % unimportant and not true. ANY form of "pull up" takes away from the whip, which is what really creates spin and ultimately movement.

No it doesn’t. The the release is the finish of the whip. On many breaking ball the hand stops right after release, small follow through.

C’Mon man, lol.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
C5E3E5F5-8401-4291-B4EB-D2B1353B0ED5.gifE558F67E-9363-4DEC-B470-88B52CA95647.gif
The hand almost stops as the follow through in this case turns the hand over, using the shoulder as well. The turnover is only a follow through that can help with keeping the down.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I should say the snap happens and the follow through is the completion of release, example the shoulders gets into the pitch, and follow through. This is a rise ball BTW.

BC76460B-AF24-44BC-8D70-FDC18B1F7CAA.gif59421950-3870-4046-A95A-E6493499A075.gif

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
I’m not seeing a “pull up” in the examples posted. I do see firing/pushing with the fingers per the hand action after release. Is that what your describing as pulling up?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winters3478