Drop ball string target

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
I’m not seeing a “pull up” in the examples posted. I do see firing/pushing with the fingers per the hand action after release. Is that what your describing as pulling up?

It feels like your pulling up, it’s actually how it comes off the fingers, The 14 inch ball is for a bigger surface for feeling of how the ball comes off the fingers.

Nov 20, 2020
SW Missouri
It feels like your pulling up, it’s actually how it comes off the fingers, The 14 inch ball is for a bigger surface for feeling of how the ball comes off the fingers.

Got it. So you’re describing a feel versus an action. I wondered if that was the case and cause for Hillhouse’s response. There was/is a version taught where the hand/arm almost pulls/peels back and up. Which, IMO, takes energy away from the pitch.

Not to further derail this thread. But DD’s PC teaches the feel as a push off the finger tips. I think that and what you described are the same action.

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Hunter

You could say that the difference between a fastball and a drop is you rip on the seams even more with the fingers on a drop ball , including you finger tips.

Feb 25, 2020
@Shawn Arent those gifs both riseballs?(or "curves")

Heres a drop from osterman. Not much "pull up" IMO.

Can we see a video of your drop vs your fastball?

Feb 25, 2020
No, Abbot was a drop and Cat was a rise.

You can see the fingers pull up in Cat’s drop. Yes.

I dont think shes pulling up. Her hand is turning over because of IR, AKA whip.

And Im not sure how thats a drop from Abbott. Her palm is up when the ball leaves her hand. Do you have video of the entire pitch?

Jan 6, 2009
Chehalis, Wa
Bonesaw

I’ll work on more vids.

Cat is peeling the ball off her finger tip in a upward action. See how high the hand get in the follow through as the ball comes off the finger tips. This happens in a few frames, lifting.

There is no such thing as a turn over drop. The turn over is follow through.

EE810D3D-4654-451E-8401-4AB96A76F68C.gif

Feb 25, 2020
Bonesaw

I’ll work on more vids.

Cat is peeling the ball off her finger tip in a upward action. See how high the hand get in the follow through as the ball comes off the finger tips. This happens in a few frames, lifting.

There is no such thing as a turn over drop. The turn over is follow through.

View attachment 24022

Cool. Id bet 1$ thats not a drop ball from Abbott. The fact that you think it is a drop is pretty telling to me. Maybe Im wrong. Hopefully some others will chime in tomorrow.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bmac81802