Drills to help this girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
Brave man standing in the pitching lane with your camera :).

I trust that if she misses it will be low, and yes she does miss on occasion, but love this set of drills.

Depending on if she is focusing on mechanics, placement or speed, will determine how many reps of each, but at minimum she does 10 of each, if it is mechanics she is working she will do each until she is consistent with form and mechanics for 3 previous pitches. this comes from having her feel and understand each throw she makes. I put a lot into her being able to understand what she is doing and why, and not me just get out there and tell her to do the drill and throw the ball.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
Also, she is not replanting. Her front foot is down and the weight has been transferred. There is no 2nd push going on.[/QUOTE]

she is without question replanting. are you watching the right video? watch her right foot as it lands post original drive. the second push is why her leg is straight, she is only pushing with her forefoot, at the 12 second mark what causes her heel to go rearward if she is not pushing from her toe?

back to helping this young lady. it took me a while to find this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upQcyPQlL8 but I think it will help her. make sure you read I/r in the classroom first she should be performing all those drills during each session. also read drive mechanics, I think someone else offered that suggestion, it is a very good one. the video I attached should help with her getting that back leg unpinned and gathering in properly. good luck

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
she is without question replanting. are you watching the right video? watch her right foot as it lands post original drive. the second push is why her leg is straight, she is only pushing with her forefoot, at the 12 second mark what causes her heel to go rearward if she is not pushing from her toe?

back to helping this young lady. it took me a while to find this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5upQcyPQlL8 but I think it will help her. make sure you read I/r in the classroom first she should be performing all those drills during each session. also read drive mechanics, I think someone else offered that suggestion, it is a very good one. the video I attached should help with her getting that back leg unpinned and gathering in properly. good luck

I have watched the video and no, she is still not replanting.

Oct 4, 2014
ok what is making her heel move away from the way she is driving then? maybe we don't agree on replant? her drive foot lands and then pushes again from somewhere other than the plate. regardless if you can see it or not is not important. what is important is that she understands first, it can not leave the ground, it must drag and second squeeze the glutes and inner thighs to get her drive leg under her. and front side resistance would be very helpful. the video in my last post should help and the 2 drills I mentioned in my first post could also be helpful.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Personally, I'm not seeing a second push...just really poor drive mechanics, bad timing, and a lot of emphasis on her shoulder.
I do think that once she stops the leaning and fixes her drive, the leg flip at the end will cease.

Agreed....

To the op, you and your dd/player should study the drive mechanics and front side resistance threads. Really study them together....Video record her pitching, and let her watch herself in comparison to a few of the model pitchers. This is imo the most valuable things you can do to help her.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LINBAN01