Drills to help this girl

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 13, 2015
I'm just starting with my DD and I'm not a pitching coach. I've learned a lot from this sticky thread:
http://www.discussfastpitch.com/showthread.php?t=18135

She is landing with her stride knee locked. It needs to be bent a little.

I have mine land and balance on the stride foot (keep her drive foot in the air) to help her keep her body behind the stride foot. She can set the foot down as the ball is thrown back to her. I think I learned that in the thread I linked.

Merrill Danner

Relax and breathe!
Sep 26, 2012
74441 - Oklahoma
pitch to glove, I have my DD do a full pitch to her glove as a drill and during warm up at games, and it looks cool when they starting getting it consistently.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8zHCu_LvVn0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2014
in this video the pitcher is not gathering her back leg under her. she is actually repushing, crow hopping. imo there are lots of good things happening here. when I have a girl doing these things I use cues like keep your nose behind your belly button, which is not necessarily the fix but the words I use to allow them know what I want, which is good posture. the goal is to get vertical, more or less depending on the pitch she is throwing. I would like to see what her posture would look like with her getting her back leg gathering to her front leg while keeping her drive toe on the ground. when I say toe I mean the top. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5X86nD_WS4 watch this woman pitch and focus on how she drives then drags her drive foot. your pitcher needs to squeeze her inner thighs and glutes hard to get the back leg to gather properly. 2 drills that may help 1) use a piece of cardboard under her drive foot and make her drag it with her as the back leg is pulled to the plant leg 2) push backs, not the ones Java uses, which by the way is fantastic and should be part of every young ladies regiment but have you pitcher push back on her plant forefoot as the ball is being released. hope it helps

Oct 27, 2015
I'm just starting with my DD and I'm not a pitching coach. I've learned a lot from this sticky thread:
Drive Mechanics

She is landing with her stride knee locked. It needs to be bent a little.

I have mine land and balance on the stride foot (keep her drive foot in the air) to help her keep her body behind the stride foot. She can set the foot down as the ball is thrown back to her. I think I learned that in the thread I linked.

Thanks. Lots of great teaching on this site. I was thrown into this coaching role and am a little overwhelmed so any references to great conversations is appreciated. I'm use to baseball so this type of pitching is a bit of a mystery right now. I got my first bit of info from Phil then was directed to IR in the classroom which has opened my eyes to good mechanics.

Oct 27, 2015
pitch to glove, I have my DD do a full pitch to her glove as a drill and during warm up at games, and it looks cool when they starting getting it consistently.

Thanks for sharing your experience with this. I also would appreciate seeing a vid of this if you don't mind posting it.

Oct 27, 2015
2 drills that may help 1) use a piece of cardboard under her drive foot and make her drag it with her as the back leg is pulled to the plant leg 2) push backs, not the ones Java uses, which by the way is fantastic and should be part of every young ladies regiment but have you pitcher push back on her plant forefoot as the ball is being released. hope it helps

Thank you for your reply. If you could say some of the "goods things happening" I could share it with her to be an encouragement. Those two drills sound promising and Ill try them out.

Oct 27, 2015
Why are you concerned about her glove hand "swimming"?

In baseball you are taught to control your glove hand as it can pull you off your target. I'm not as familiar with the windmill pitch but It seemed logical to ask about it. Instead of a leading questions please just tell me your thoughts. I'm open to learning and would appreciate the forums help with this.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole