Drama

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
Chapel-don't take the opinions out of context. When something is posted and read
it can be interpreted a thousand different ways. Move past this thread and read others.
There is some good information you can pull from this forum.

Mar 22, 2010
Oh no. Don't get me wrong. I will continue reading on this site because it has some really good information. I just won't be posting anymore. :)

Jan 20, 2010
I apologize...I didn't mean to be so flip. Maybe our league is different than yours (we play with safety balls at 8u). I have just seen girls (and boys) quit the sport forever because they don't think they were good enough and I try to avoid that when they are so young. I just don't think that should happen at rec. I will try to stay away from this type of subject.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
Oh no. Don't get me wrong. I will continue reading on this site because it has some really good information. I just won't be posting anymore. :)

Just like when managing a team, you need to have a thick skin when posting on this site. I love all of the different opinions here because you hear all sides of an issue and can make a more informed decision. Back to your original post, as a manager you will be second guessed every single day. The most important thing is to stand by your convictions but have an open mind (you will be worng sometime and need to recognize that). You will never please all the kids or parents, you just have to do what you think is the most appropriate and stick with it. If you don't like drama, you should not be coaching. It's just part of the game.

Oct 22, 2009
My 1st yr coaching GS, I had no asst coaches. I pulled 10 names out of a hat. It was 7u then. 5,6,7yr olds. Pretty much all beginners.
At my 1st practice I began analyzing players and could not believe my luck. Save for the 6 5&6yr olds, with little talent. I saw a 6yr old that was long tall and lefty! 1st base! Then the short stocky kid that screamed athlete when you saw her, 3rd base! The lightening quick, wiry kid----SS! She was so fast if she got the ball, she could outrun and tag any kid in the league. The 7yr old with fair talent but a lot of brains--2nd! My DD got pitcher because she had played there since she was 4 on the boys' team. She was the most experienced on the team.

We played four in the outfield, so I rotated evenly the rest from bench, catcher, outfield.

My infield was just amazing to watch. I never had a complaint and I know it was because those girls looked and played like they were just born for those positions. They played like 12u kids! I had complaints from parents on the other teams saying my team was "stacked". And to be honest it was. If you could have gone through the registration and pulled out the best 5 kids for certain positions, that is what I drew. We always put the outfield kids in the infield during hitting practice. The only way I would have been able to put an outfielder in the infield during game time, would be to change everyone out because those kids threw HARD! So even though my parents were happy, there were many many unhappy parents on the other teams accusing me of cheating and stacking.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I watched this thread go south, yesterday. I suspect (and I may be wrong) that we either have a troll or someone posting under multiple screen names. I see a pattern.

Mar 22, 2010
I don't mind hearing different sides of a discussion but I don't like getting completely and utterly attacked. And no I don't have the thickest of skin but I also am not the one coaching, my husband is. I just help out when needed. And this is rec ball, not travel. Half these kids parents signed them up without even asking the kids if they wanted to play. We can barely get the kids to come to games much less to practice. The ones who are infield are sometimes the only one's who show up to practices. We don't have the luxury of teaching 10 kids how to play every position.

I love forums and being able to discuss issues with other people from all around the world, but the thing about the internet is that there are people would never talk to someone's face like they feel free to online. I think that is unfortunate. I feel like we should have the same social expectations and manners online as we do in society.

Apr 2, 2010
Just take a deep breath. I honestly think most of us on this site are trying to help and offer various points of view. There's always going to be someone out there who thinks being disrespectful is alright. Some people just never grow out of that middle-school mentality. The internet is a place where they feel safe being bullies. This site is the most genuine and supportive site I have found where we can discuss softball issues with other obsessed coaches, players, and parents. There are other sites I have visted where if you vent about an issue they will tear you apart and destroy a reputation if they figure out who you are. Rec ball is rough. Just make decisions from a place of honor and kindness, and you'll be alright. You will never make everyone happy, but the memories you and your husband will have from leading your daughter's team are priceless.

Oct 19, 2009
I don't mind hearing different sides of a discussion but I don't like getting completely and utterly attacked. And no I don't have the thickest of skin but I also am not the one coaching, my husband is. I just help out when needed. And this is rec ball, not travel. Half these kids parents signed them up without even asking the kids if they wanted to play. We can barely get the kids to come to games much less to practice. The ones who are infield are sometimes the only one's who show up to practices. We don't have the luxury of teaching 10 kids how to play every position.

I love forums and being able to discuss issues with other people from all around the world, but the thing about the internet is that there are people would never talk to someone's face like they feel free to online. I think that is unfortunate. I feel like we should have the same social expectations and manners online as we do in society.

Hey I thought you were done posting on this site! That's two more since you declared it.

KIDDING!!!! Yea, people sound a lot harsher in writing than in person or on the phone; just the nature of the internet. Don't let it get you down. Heck I got beat down by a super moderator the other day and I was just throwing out an idea about a strategy - I'm still here (unless I get black-balled after this one).

Then today I got a PM and someone apologized for offending me! I had no idea what the person was talking about because I wasn't at all offended. Kind of funny. Sort of like drama. It's pretty enjoyable as long as it isn't yours!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32