dragging entire side of foot

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
World Class Athletes are often not the best examples to use when trying to teach a child a skill. When you have a person of enormous talent and physical gifts you find that they can get away with doing things that a normal person, even one who succeeds at a high level, cannot.

In fact sometimes you will find high level ball players doing things "wrong" in order to succeed. You would never teach a kid Gary Sheffield's bat pumping/hand bobbing approach to hitting. But he had to do it to hit in the majors. His hands were so fast he couldn't stay back on a curveball. But you would never instruct a kid to do that. You will probably never find a kid with hands so fast you need to teach them that.

China, great point. Somethings people are good despite what they do, not because of it. It's no different than going to a hitting coach who talks about the "swing" they must have. Swinging a bat and hitting a ball are 2 different things in a game. Often times that perfect swing has to be "modified" in order to even make contact with one of those riseballs that don't go up. :) I personally think Finch COULD have throw 75+ with different mechanics. She sure had the size and strength. Just had way too many other things working against that. I don't want to get into an argument here but sorry, no way Christa williams threw 72mph. And if she did even come close to that, remember that was from 40 feet, not the 43 of today. A lot of people still believe Eddie Feigner threw 104. That is just simply not true. There's no way a guy threw 104 using rules of 1950 but guys today without ANY rules are only throwing 86.

It's hard for me to fathom that anyone would believe that as much push, drive and/or velocity could accure with the side of the foot on the ground. But whatever.

I can tell you this, those pitchers with the sides of their feet on the ground are not doing it because it's optimal mechanics. They are doing it to avoid the "DIP" (Dreaded Illegal Pitch). Leave NO DOUBT in these umpire's mind who have no clue, and to the other coaches who still think the foot needs to be in "contact with the pitchers plate" when releasing the ball. LOL. The most optimal thing a pitcher can do is get on their tip toe to avoid the most foot on the ground. However, that rarely happens. The best we can do is the least amount of foot possible and adjust as we go.

Bill

Oct 22, 2009
That is exactly what dragging the shoe laces is doing to the top 13 YO, that I have. When I mentioned changing it, her mom said "Don't change her pitching." So, sometimes, it is out of the pitching coaches hands.

I never had to change my DD's cleats. But, then, she leaped. ;)

I did work with her on changing, but as some point I just gave up. It did not seem to affect her pitching, so I let her do what she was going to do.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
I,ve been working with a 12 yr old who has a habit of dragging the entire side of her pivot foot instead of just the toe. When I try to get her to drag on the toe, she ends up staying forward instead of getting sideways and she drags on the very end of the with shoe laces facing straight on same as her body. Any ideas or drills to help keep her sideways while dragging on toe.

Ever make a jump shot in basketball??? Do you jump up straight legged and flat footed? NO. You use your ankle, foot and knee to get as high as possible. Same thing goes with the push off. Its like you are (at least somewhat) making a jump shot with one leg but you are on a forward angle pushing towards the plate.

You drag on the side of your big toe with the least amount of pressure possible. The drag foot is supposed to be like the rudder on a boat, not like the anchor! It helps stear a straight course, keeps you in ballance during the pitch.

sneakysoftballpitching.com

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd