Does the pivot foot contribute much after push off?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
What is the role of the pivot foot after push off of the plate? I have heard that it helps close the hips and generates power at release but I am not so sure its pirmary role is more like a rudder to give the pitcher balance, and nothing more. You see all of these pitchers "kicking out" the pivot foot as it drags away from the pitching plate but I don't see it adding much to the delivery of the pitch after the initial push. I'm confused.

Jan 27, 2010
I believe the pivot or push foot most important contribution is balance after push off.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
I believe the pivot or push foot most important contribution is balance after push off.

I agree. So if the pivot foot's role after push off is balance, would it not make sense to have it lightly drag, toe down, more towards the planted stride foot (i.e. down the power line) instead of kicking towards first base for RHP. This way the forward momentum created by the push off keeps the energy going towards home plate instead of some of it going to the pivot foot creating a "donkey kick" to 1B.

Jul 15, 2008
the donkey kick towards 1B (which's on the left), balance your rapidly moving arm(on the right)?
looks like a
m
where the left line is the arm, middle line is the front leg, right line is the pivot leg

Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
the donkey kick towards 1B (which's on the left), balance your rapidly moving arm(on the right)?
looks like a
m
where the left line is the arm, middle line is the front leg, right line is the pivot leg

IMO, right after push off the pitcher starts to go into the K position, the glove, left shoulder, left stride hip and leg should be on a perfect plane (as seen by the catcher), there is little weight distributed to the right side that would need to be balanced out by an aggressive donkey kick to 1B. For example, when my DD kicks the pivot foot, it throws her body to the right side and off her power line, instead of finishing with her body / head high moving towards the catcher.

halskinner

Banned
May 7, 2008
For those of you that have never pitched; The pivot toe lightly dragging forward after the push off,, that is what yiou use to guide your stride foot so you know where it will land without looking down. It is most DEFINITELY the rudder of the ship. It takes a few warm up pitches for you to get the 'feel' for the terrain inside the circle. After that you have the feel for it and you do not have to think about it anymore.

It keeps you balanced, it keeps you driving straight forward.

As far as the toe hole, that toe hole is a good thing. It allows the pivot foot toes to 'PIVOT' using the front top edge of thew rubber as a pivot point. The rubber is stable, the dirt never is.

Last edited:
Oct 23, 2009
Los Angeles
For those of you that have never pitched; The pivot toe lightly dragging forward after the push off,, that is what yiou use to guide your stride foot so you know where it will land without looking down. It is most DEFINITELY the rudder of the ship. It takes a few warm up pitches for you to get the 'feel' for the terrain inside the circle. After that you have the feel for it and you do not have to think about it anymore.

It keeps you balanced, it keeps you driving straight forward.

As far as the toe hole, that toe hole is a good thing. It allows the pivot foot toes to 'PIVOT' using the front top edge of thew rubber as a pivot point. The rubber is stable, the dirt never is.

Thanks Hal. What about all these pitchers that are using the pivot foot to get a second push off the ground supposedly to "close the hip" or "generate more arm power/whip" right before release? Is this move unnecessary and possibly an illegal pitch?

Oct 22, 2009
Thanks Hal. What about all these pitchers that are using the pivot foot to get a second push off the ground supposedly to "close the hip" or "generate more arm power/whip" right before release? Is this move unnecessary and possibly an illegal pitch?

I don't see how an umpire could ever make that determination if she was getting a second push. They can barely catch flying in the air.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hgielaz01