Does the Bat Matter?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 17, 2012
This is going to sound odd. Can the bat really make a difference? I bought DD an Easton Synge last year, which is a composite. Prior to that she used a $25 Easton Typhoon. I've noticed a really tentative drop the bat and "swoop" type swing getting worse instead of better through the year. I had her in our LL hitting cage yesterday and noticed alot of hand shaking after hits. She said her hands were stinging on every hit. She asked if she can switch bats and grabbed the old Typhoon, which is aluminum. Bang....Slam... Boom... she was crushing the ball. Tonight at our game, she used the Synge in her first at bat... weak grounder to the pitcher. Second at bat she grabbed the cheapo Typhoon and hit a rocket over the second baseman. Here... all along, I thought the tentative swing was for fear of striking out if she took a good hack. Could it really be the bat? Anyone else have issues with their DD using composite and not liking it?

Apr 17, 2012
Wi
Yep. $125.00 miken sits,in the bag for a $25 bustos? Same reason lots of vibration if u don't hit it in the sweet spot

Jun 24, 2013
I have told this story before but I bought DD a XENO and did not tell DD or DW, she was swinging a Wal-Mart special. DD told me to send it back because she liked her bat. I talked her into trying it and she was fascinated by it and would not stop hitting practice. We started before Team practice and she wanted to hit some more after Team practice.

DD is up for the first time of the year and DW asks me, whose bat is she using. Trouble. 

There is no comparison between a composite and an aluminum bat, you just need to find a composite your DD likes. I am not an equipment person but it does make a difference you just need to find a brand and size that fits her.

Axe

Jul 7, 2011
Atlanta
The Synge is a drop 11.5 and the Typhoon is a drop 10. If they are the same length she might get more pop and a better swing path from the heavier bat. Bats materials make a huge difference but correct sizing is still most important.

Apr 9, 2012
Composite vs aluminum-yes it matters.
Right size vs wrong size-yes it matters
Vibration on a mishit vs no vibration (feedback)-yes it matters.

IMHO :)

Jun 24, 2013
Ironically DD’s old bat was a Typhoon and I could just pitch to her and not pay too much attention. With the composite bat a ball went by my head before I could even react, she could have hurt me bad.

I need to pay attention now, I am a good ducker.

Jul 16, 2008
Oregon
Oh yes, bought DD an Easton Clarity.... she could barely get it out of the infield. This year she used a team Stealth, and crushed the ball. Only problem... can't find them (well saw a couple on the auction site, but at $400.00 will have to pass)

May 24, 2013
So Cal
My DD went from a 28/18 Typhoon to a 29/17.5 Synge. She likes the Synge MUCH better. Hitting one-handed grounders to her with the Synge, it seems much hotter to me than the Typhoon.

Jul 17, 2012
Both bat's are 30". But as previously stated, the Synge is only 18.5 oz as opposed to the 20 oz typhoon. So maybe the answer is she gets a better swing path with the heavier bat and gets the barell on the ball as opposed to off the end of the bat (the most frequent mis-hit for her). Maybe she gets the lighter bat though the zone quicker than she thinks she can? Anyone have any recommendations as to a decent composite that may be a little more forgiving on the vibration? I'd be looking for a -10 drop.

Jun 24, 2013
My current theory is to stay at -10 and to move up length to 32’ then start going to -9, etc.

I am a big xeno and cf fan, both can but gotten at -10 but cost a lot.

There are cheaper alternatives better than the Typhoon if your DD is still growing. Look at last year’s models and save yourself a few bucks. Going to justbats.com and taking one of their specials is not a bad way to go.

It is still your DD’s swing that makes the difference.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChippyNole