Has this happened with anyone's DD's Mantra bat?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 26, 2019
DD is 12. She was hitting off a hack attack machine on Wednesday evening. After about 15 minutes she stepped out and picked something up and held her hand and bat in the air.

According to DD she hit the ball closer to the handle but still on the barrel and it "really hurt" when she made contact. Additionally, we were using machine "softballs" not the dimpled balls.

The knob of her bat sheared right off/broke off. The bat is literally only four months old. It is a replacement from Rawlings for her first Mantra. The first Mantra was bought "gently used" from a woman whose daughter didn't care for it.

We had the first one for approximately two weeks. Her hitting coach one day just flat out said, your bat is dead.

Even though she really liked her Mantra and hit well with it, she's back to swinging a LS again. Though now it is an LXT instead of the Xeno.

Attachments

• 20211110_181309.jpg
    20211110_181309.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Coach said is was dead because its a bat that needs swings. Not instant satisfaction.

Ive seen it on all kinds of bats, not a very common break, but I have seen it. It prob took a shot from being throw or
dropped or whatever on the knob and it started a slight crack. Then after use, got bigger until it finally gave way.

Has nothing to do with you hitting balls the day it let loose. It was just the "time"

Apr 26, 2019
Coach said is was dead because its a bat that needs swings. Not instant satisfaction.

Ive seen it on all kinds of bats, not a very common break, but I have seen it. It prob took a shot from being throw or
dropped or whatever on the knob and it started a slight crack. Then after use, got bigger until it finally gave way.

Has nothing to do with you hitting balls the day it let loose. It was just the "time"
Thank you.

May 1, 2018
Bats take time to break in. Now I was assuming your pin in the knob broke but that one is new for me. I would still call Customer Service and see what they will do for you, that's a defect not a break by use problem.

Apr 26, 2019
Bats take time to break in. Now I was assuming your pin in the knob broke but that one is new for me. I would still call Customer Service and see what they will do for you, that's a defect not a break by use problem.
Thanks for the advice. They may tell me to pound sand as they've already sent one replacement but it can't hurt to try. The worst they can say is "No."

CoreSoftball20

Wilson = Evil Empire
DFP Vendor
Dec 27, 2012
Kunkletown, PA
Has nothing to do with the pin...its still in there. Not a defect unless it was cracked when they made it. Now, unless there
was too much room around the pin when built and allowed too much play.

Again, looks like the bat took a shot somewhere. Doesnt have to be much...just could have hit really weird or landed funny
and started a hairline in there. Then after time and drop after drop...the looseness kept rattling around the pin and created more
of a crack and them boom.

Never cared for the Worth/Rawlings pin set up but its does what they need

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles