Does Rip it or game face build confidence

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 4, 2010
Tucson AZ
I also grew up with no facemasks in the field OR on the batting helmets. No one I know has ever died from a line drive to the dome either, but it happens.

Men are usually the worst when it comes to the machismo thing, but I saw the USA mens slowpitch pitcher wearing a mask and shinguards under his pants. Technology has changed, and athletes are stronger. Football players just used to wear the skull cap, but now they wear masks. Once someone is injured or killed on the national stage, the masks will become standard. Or they'll outlaw composite bats.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
Yes, it makes a big difference in the fear factor.

This year our LL made it "mandatory" at u12for 3B to wear a face mask (Then they didn't issue them or begin to enforce the rule until at least halfway thru the season.)

We made it mandatory for all kids on our team, playing the infield to wear face masks. One game our shortstop took a bad hop square on the facemask, played the rebound and made the out. She not only had no fear but she retained no fear as a result of the impact. We had some girls who chose to wear the masks in the outfield. Once we made the decision for them, they were comfortable wearing them.

Our LL is run by the men who coach the boys LL. The board has very little representation by softball coaches. Most men don't see the need for facemasks in the field, but then again, none of those making the decisions understand softball anyway.

I know of one girl (14yo) who began wearing a mask this spring as the result of a small concussion she received when hit in the head by a stray (thrown) ball. By the end of the season and summer, she wasn't wearing the mask whenever she could get away with it. I think she was motivated when the incident was fresh in her mind and the weather was cooler. But in the end, it just wasn't an acceptable fashion accessorie for her.

Last edited:
Aug 13, 2010
$7,000 for braces- you bet my DD wears a mask!

My DD is moving up to 12u for fall ball and we won't let her on the field without it. Even if she plays OF (she took a bad hop to the face at her last tournament in the OF, and she gave us the thumbs up after the ball bounced off of her mask).

My wife likes to say that we spent wayyyy too much money on her teeth for them to get knocked out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1