Does LHP need a screwball?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2012
my daughter had one not a great one but her pitching coach took it away saying it was too hard on young arm so i dunno pros n cons i guess :)

Apr 30, 2011
Portland, Or
If a LHP does not need a screwball, why does a RHP need a curve?

A RHP doesn't NEED a curve. In fact some coaches don't teach curve or screw. The reasoning being a pitcher should focus on controlling the down movement (increasing it with a drop or decreasing it with a rise) because this more effectively moves the ball off the swing plane. It is also accepted and often repeated that a pitcher only needs to MASTER 3 pitches (Master being the key here), most commonly the rise drop and change. This is not to say learning other pitches is a waste of time. Becoming aware of how to control the ball in different ways can improve control on the primary pitches but it comes down to, when do you realistically throw your 4th, 5th, 6th "best" pitch? If the top 3 are not being effective then they need work.

Is a Curve effective for a RHP? it absolutely can be. A good screw seems to be more effective,.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
MandM, I do understand your concern. You and only you know what's going on with your DD and her pitching, over the Internet it's impossible for us to know all the details. I do wish you the best of luck whatever you choose.

Many will tell you a screw doesn't happen, to a point they are right. Few can throw it, the same as few can throw an effective knuckleball in baseball. Don't let the majority discourage you from finding out if your DD is the minority, unless that's your choice.

DD's screw is her most effective pitch, we saw early how her FB moved and improved on it through experimentation forcing the ball to "move" even more. We didn't just pick the screw out of a hat. Where her "effectiveness" is..........she offers a pitch batters don't see all the time ( like a drop or rise ).

Everyone is correct, having 3 complete command of 3 good pitches is about all anyone will need. The problem everyone has is finding out "which" pitch is the most effective FOR YOU. Take my DD, she can't control the popular rise, but her highest K rate pitch is one few can use. So if we took the advice of the masses and didn't "try" the screw...............we'd be SCREWED. :)

Jun 14, 2011
Field of Dreams
Especially after a bad habit is corrected, any athlete should have the body awareness of when and when not to do something. They are not robots.

Guess DD's proprioceptors are not firing all cylinders;- but sometimes where she thinks her body is - is not where it actually is, which is why video especially has been a great tool to help her mechanics improve. So, I beg to differ with your contention that she should have "enough body awareness" that her mechanics should now be locked in no matter what- if that were true, why does Kyla Holas still recommend mechanics checkpoints for her pitchers (University of Houston) ??

We can agree to disagree on that one.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texas Red