Does commitment go both ways?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
In what aspect or area of life could you get away with treating *people* like this?

Why would it be allowed/condoned with a bunch of 12 year-old girls playing a sport?

Easy answer to this question was stated before: run.

There is a core of 4 or 5 players that will be carried. The new players are soaking up the playing time and are quite happy for now. They don't know the people that have been forced out and the team reputation hasn't gotten out to a wider circle just yet. Their children are playing and they are buying into the idea of building a winning program. They don't yet understand the cost. It won't be long before he grows tired of the new girls that struggle at the plate or in the field and they are quitely replaced.

Jul 4, 2012
First post here; please let me know if I should start a new thread... Been reading for awhile and appreciate all of the discussion.

I need to determine if my DD and I are being too sensitive? My DD's 10U travel team has had a couple of injuries, and we've played the last few tournaments with 9 girls. Several of the girls are starting middle school ball and may or may not be available for fall tournaments. So, our coaches have recruited two or three solid players from a nearby town. These players season TB season ended recently as they do not play during the second half of the year.

DD has only missed one practice since the team's "year" began in February and realistically is average on the team. Well, there was a scrimmage recently, and only one of the new three players sat out one inning, but all of them played infield "action" positions. DD sat out one inning - no problem, but she wasn't given the chance to move to an infield position and gain exposure/playing time.

I welcome the additional players with open arms, and I recognize their skills. But, should I expect DD to be given some opportunity aside from the outfield? Especially in a scrimmage?

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
SoGA, no need to panic just yet. Maybe the coach was trying to see what kind of players the new kids are. If there isn't a lot of action in the outfield it can be tough to tell. Pretty much anyone can stand around. Especially if this was a scrimmage, as you say. The coach needs to know what he has before you get into tournaments.

If it continues then you have cause for concern. Normally I would say outfield is an important position, not a punishment. But at 10U, yeah, it's kind of where you put players you don't think are very good.

Ken Krause

Administrator
Admin
May 7, 2008
Mundelein, IL
Back on the original topic I heard a story from the mom of one of my students. The girl was 10U-eligible, but the 11U coach (who is also president of the organization) said the 10U team was set but he'd like her on the 11U team. It is a town travel program, and the parents felt pretty good about their daughter being asked to play up.

Well, at least until the summer came along. She would pitch as #2 pitcher, but was getting only minimal field team. I watched her pitch one game and she did pretty well. The other team was hitting the ball, but not hard. Unfortunately the defense wasn't very good and they botched a number of routine plays, even at 11U. Most of the outs she got were strikeouts.

Throughout the summer she got less and less field time. Then came the capper this past weekend. The coach brought down a 12U pitcher, and basically gave her all the innings while #1 and #2 rode the bench. Needless to say the parents of my student were unhappy, and I doubt the parents of #1 were too thrilled either. The team took second in whatever local tournament they were in, and the coach was delighted. He said the smiles on the faces of the girls made it worth screwing over the two pitchers.

I guess his strategy worked, but I can't help thinking that another strategy would've been to teach all the girls to play better. If you have to bring in a ringer to win you're not much of a coach.

That team has one more tournament this weekend. My student will not be there. She was told she will pitch a pool game but then no more, and she's already been told she won't be playing the field much so not much point in going.

What a shame that adults care so much about winning that they'll screw over young girls whose only desire is to play softball.

Jul 4, 2012
Ken:

Thanks for the reply. Two of the coach's DD's have played with the new players team prior to them ending their season (on the weekends when we didn't play), so they are well aware of their ability (again - good abiilty). I talked with the HC today, and he said "we need the new players". He went on to say, he was just glad we didn't get our eyes beat out during the scrimmage. Again, I'm searching to see if DD and I are being too sensitive. Without provocation in the last 24 hours, she has initiated a conversation about how badly she felt three different times. I sincerely believe the committment has not gone both ways in this case.

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
We avoided a team because of this. The coach ran great offseason workouts, paid a lot of attention to DD. We were really sold on him, but he started promising everything and set off my cr@p detector, so we declined.

By March, there were 16 girls on the team and they were alternating a core of 6-7 at every other tournament.

By June, girls started to notice they hadn't played in 3 tournaments. At this point there may have been 18 or more on paper, but the original girls started bailing when they caught on.

Oct 19, 2009
Ken Krause
I guess his strategy worked, but I can't help thinking that another strategy would've been to teach all the girls to play better. If you have to bring in a ringer to win you're not much of a coach.

IMO one of the best things I enjoyed about being a coach was watching the kids grow and improve as a player. If a team continually changes players then that is a red flag there is a problem, which many times is the coach inability to grow and improve players, so they steal players from coaches who can.

Run don’t Walk from coaches like this.

left turn

It's fun being a dad!
Sep 20, 2011
NJ
Here are the consequences of being on a team where winning is everything and the players are not relevant:

The top 4 to 6 players
- They will have an outstanding experience. They will bat low in the order and they will play every inning and get lots of practice at their positions
- Positive assessment of mistakes: Their errors or poor plays will be explained away as anomalies
- Definition of the top players will be somewhat arbitrary and solely up to the head coach
- Confidence will improve

For the players that are not in the top 6
- They will end the season worse off for the experience and they will be much less well rounded
- Every play they make they will fear making a mistake, because a mistake means they are subject to being benched or being replaced by anybody that can be found
- Negative assessment of mistakes: Every error will be just further proof that they are not a top player
- Their options will be drastically limited, leaving their strongest position. They will get little if any practice at other positions and limited if any field time
- Guest players will have more at bats and opportunities in the field
- They will constantly be concerned that the coach will find someone better at any time and without notice
- Since they are reduced to a part-time player to the team, wins are something accomplished by others
- Confidence will diminish

A player may change from being considered a top player to not being a top player based on the whim of the coach

Here are the consequences of being on a team where winning is everything and the players are not relevant:

The top 4 to 6 players (2 or 3 of which mysteriously always seem to be related to the HC and ACs)
- They will have an outstanding experience. They will bat low in the order and they will play every inning and get lots of practice at their positions
- Positive assessment of mistakes: Their errors or poor plays will be explained away as anomalies
- Definition of the top players will be somewhat arbitrary and solely up to the head coach
- Confidence will improve

For the players that are not in the top 6
- They will end the season worse off for the experience and they will be much less well rounded
- Every play they make they will fear making a mistake, because a mistake means they are subject to being benched or being replaced by anybody that can be found
- Negative assessment of mistakes: Every error will be just further proof that they are not a top player
- Their options will be drastically limited, leaving their strongest position. They will get little if any practice at other positions and limited if any field time
- Guest players will have more at bats and opportunities in the field
- They will constantly be concerned that the coach will find someone better at any time and without notice
- Since they are reduced to a part-time player to the team, wins are something accomplished by others
- Confidence will diminish

A player may change from being considered a top player to not being a top player based on the whim of the coach

for clarification purposes....